Disco camping/sleeping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a decent way to sleep in the back of their Discovery, or is it out of the question? I know that camping in a tent is fine and I have seen the tents you can mount to the top, but is there some way that one can put a cott in the back that goes above the folded down rear seat, and if so does anyone have pictures? I am 5'10" so I am not that tall. Just curious, this late spring I was hoping to camp a couple days in Colorado without setting up a tent and stay warm. Just curious.....

D

discomike

I wish there was, but so far I haven't found a good way.
Mike J.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of something like this where one could sleep on top, and store cargo below... I have done this many times actually with other vehicles, but typically they provide a longer bed. I guess I could just leave the rear door open and make a canvas fly...

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://freespace.******.net/ets.london/landrover/pic_shelving_1.jpg

T

tkcomp

Interesting tent location on the north by rovers picture. I thought there was a weight linit on the rack. Is the weight limit increased that much by having the basket rack on top. How much weight can the roof of a rover take?

Tom

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the method with which the rack is mounted. If it's on the gutters, it's a lot higher than if it's mounted to the factory rails, for example...

Opinions vary but I wouldn't put too much up there for other reasons (COG, aerodynamics, etc.)

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but why do people want to sleep on top of their vehicle anyway? I mean I realize that the bottom of the tent could get wet, but besides that and the random rhino attack, I think I would feel much more in danger trying to climb in and out of a tent on the roof of my sport ute in the dark.....with my luck I can easily see myself in the middle of no where, slipping on some morning dew or frost and hanging upside down by my underwear until they giveway...not for me. But Kansans never have been big on heights.... :)

E

Errant

I'm with you, Cole. I'd prefer my tent in a spot where I can easily crawl and passout (in a drunken oblivion).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99