DuraTracs - Handling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rubbing with the Compos and either 265/65/18 or 285/60/18 - the latter size is what I run currently - except very lightly under full compression or steering lock, and the rub will go away as the tires wear out a bit. No need for spacers (that's the whole point of getting the Compomotives, I guess), rods or lifts. The biggest challenge with that setup will be fitting the spare under the car.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great and sets it apart from most of the 18inchers that are rocking the compomotives. I may however join that crowd, as I am concerned with the hassle of battling the rub. Was hoping to not have to grind, trim, or judo kick much to make it work. With compomotives and 265/65/18s does it still require spacers or the rod swap? Or just one or the other?
My other option was keeping my stock 20s and using the spacers and rods to fit some 285/50/20s or 275/55/20s. I know most on this forum would recommend the 18s but I don't do a lot of off roading and I already have the 20s that are in need of new rubber anyways.

opinions, comments, insults?

That's what I did. Dropped the LR3 18s and got Compos. Less rubbing and no spacers (feels safer).
The Bowler rocks the Compomotive rims...

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rubbing with the Compos and either 265/65/18 or 285/60/18 - the latter size is what I run currently - except very lightly under full compression or steering lock, and the rub will go away as the tires wear out a bit. No need for spacers (that's the whole point of getting the Compomotives, I guess), rods or lifts. The biggest challenge with that setup will be fitting the spare under the car.

Cool..yeah I knew they made the wheels to fit around the monster brakes, but wasn't sure if running that size tire would require the spacers or the lift and it seems most guys on these forums that run them have the rods. Good to know I would be ok with out if I wanted. Did you guys see any improvement in handling after dropping down to 18s? The roads here in OK are pretty bad and I am bouncing all over the place when hitting bumps. My Raptor drives like a Cadillac compared to the LR4.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the feel of my truck better then when I had the 19's it feels a bit stiffer which its perfect for me. I'll be cutting the frame horns and rewelding it so it doesn't rub.
On another note. I kinda want to raise the front 1 more inch, if I'm running the rods can I increase the front with the IID tool and not get a suspension fault if I go on "off road mode"?

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I did. Dropped the LR3 18s and got Compos. Less rubbing and no spacers (feels safer).
The Bowler rocks the Compomotive rims...

Right on, yeah I am a little leery about spacers myself but I have read the claims listed on sites for marketing "The benefits are improved handling, cornering and stability as well as increased steering lock." so it made me consider.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The benefits I see on spacers would be that you get a wider stance but lose articulation.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The benefits I see on spacers would be that you get a wider stance but lose articulation.

Definitely wider stance. Looks much better.
Really don't understand why you would lose articulation. I didn't when I had them.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you lift the truck the suspension pull inward so if you take the fact the its a taller tire plus add the rods you do lose some articulation

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compomotive wheels have a different offset ( ET44) comparing to OE wheels and will give you a wider stance too.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you lift the truck the suspension pull inward so if you take the fact the its a taller tire plus add the rods you do lose some articulation

Your post was about spacers only ;)
I'm aware of the rest and don't use rods.
If you were to get a proper alignment even with rods your suspension would not pull inward as you call it (I did that when I was using the IIDTool for a lift). I would highly recommend that you get one, if you haven't you're going to eat up your tires way to fast and won't be able to do proper tire rotation.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72