Engine Breaking noise at 60mph on highway?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onefitcpa

Reaction score
Hey guys, just purchased a 2006 used LR3 with 27,000 miles on it last year. It now has 40,000 miles on it. Just recently, i noticed that when i am on the highway driving around 60 to 70mph (vehicle in top gear - 6th), when I let my foot off the gas, i can feel and hear the car, in what sounds like, engine breaking. Its a noticeable hum or vibration i can feel on the floorboard. When i apply the gas again, it stops. Now, I understand the car will engine break, but I don't recall this happening before, or being so noticeable. It does not occur at slower speeds and lower gears.

When I purchased the car, I had to take it back to dealer to get a software update so that the tranny and the engine would be in sync. Is there another update I need,or is this sound just normal. I dont drive the car everyday, as it is my wifes, so I may be over reacting, but just wanted to ask.

Thanks guys.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two things:

1. If you are/were in Sport mode then I would expect a little bit of engine braking at that speed, so check that.
2. The tranny is adaptive, so it may've "learned" your wife's driving style (especially if she avoids the freeway like my wife) and so it may be less used to that speed and try to slow itself down...?

onefitcpa

Reaction score
Houm,
Was not in sport mode, and yes, I would expect that as well.

As for your 2nd thought, this might be the case. We just had our 1st child, so the LR3 has not been driven all that much in the last 2 weeks, and the weeks prior to that, was only driven around town, with no highway time. We have a trip to PA planned in a week or 2, so the long drive may alleviate this issue.

Thanks for the input.

onefitcpa

Reaction score
two things:

1. If you are/were in Sport mode then I would expect a little bit of engine braking at that speed, so check that.
2. The tranny is adaptive, so it may've "learned" your wife's driving style (especially if she avoids the freeway like my wife) and so it may be less used to that speed and try to slow itself down...?

UPDATE - FYI, I took the LR3 on a road trip this weekend and the noise is gone. I think you were correct with the "adaptive" comment. The around town driving led to the engine breaking when you took your foot off the gas. Its gone. I guess i just needed to stretch its legs.

Thanks!!

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my brakes slowly lock-up on me while doing 70mph. The sensation is akin to the downhill descent control locking down. Brake pad melt smell. I usually pull over, turn the car off, and re-start it after sitting there fuming. It's a very random occurance, but I don't think it's what's happening to you.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my brakes slowly lock-up on me while doing 70mph. The sensation is akin to the downhill descent control locking down. Brake pad melt smell. I usually pull over, turn the car off, and re-start it after sitting there fuming. It's a very random occurance, but I don't think it's what's happening to you.

That sounds like moisture in the brake fluid, gets hot, expands, turns to steam putting more pressure in the system and stops you. Recommended brake fluid change interval is usually two years.

Check your local auto parts stores for a dip stick that can tell if you need to flush your brake system.
BJ

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll give it a shot. I always thought it was an electronics problem due to fact that it goes away when you do a shut down. It's odd because it happens very infrequently and then immediately goes away. The techs at LR look at me like I'm crazy, but it's not a pleasant experience at full steam.

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll give it a shot. I always thought it was an electronics problem due to fact that it goes away when you do a shut down. It's odd because it happens very infrequently and then immediately goes away. The techs at LR look at me like I'm crazy, but it's not a pleasant experience at full steam.

I can imagine! I've had two different vehicles have their engines turn a main bearing and lock-up. But at least I could take it out of gear and still roll. If your problem is electrical, I don't envy you. Good luck!
BJ

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove 700 miles on Thursday and Friday. Thursday was dry and had zero issues with the brakes locking up. Friday was pouring and they locked up twice, once in the light traffic of I-85 and the other on I-95 in rush hour. That was fun. I spoke to LR about it after the second experience, and they were clueless since no warning or fault lights appeared. I guess I'll try the brake fluid fix.

It's just impossible to diagnose this thing since it happens at random. It can go months without an occurance. The rain tells me it may be a moisture thing. Who knows.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4