Engine hesitates, stumbles, and dies (black smoke included!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the cranksshaft position sensor to me.... anyone else have a thought?

And yes this will cause the engine to run very odd.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I stopped by the shop and the guys said it was an oil level sensor. And I think I have narrowed by idling problems to the left bank oxygen sensor, because the EFI light finally came on and gave me a code 44. I think I will clean the sensors first, because I don't expect them to be bad as I recently replaced both of them.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that after cleaning the MAF sensor, i cleaned the K&N air filter and re-oiled it. Is it possible that the oil from the air filter dirtied the MAF again?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
if you over oiled the K&N, then yes this could very well be an issue... wipe down the K&N before installing it after oiling it down... I would go ahead and clean the MAF sensor again.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just finished cleaning up the MAF sensor and adding di-electric grease to oxygen sensor and MAF contacts. It works!! No more black smoke and shaking. I warmed the engine up to make sure the oxygen sensors were hot and took it around the block for 15 minutes. By then it should have been starting to get grumpy with me...but alas, the car is happy. Those MAF sensors are sensitive little things. Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
K&N oil will **** the MAF... remember in the future after oiling it, to wipe it down with a paper towel or cloth to get the excess oil off of the filter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM