Engine Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the manual says to use 5W30 engine, is it ok to use synthetic? Or must I use 5W30 in order to protect my warranty?

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the manual says to use 5W30 engine, is it ok to use synthetic? Or must I use 5W30 in order to protect my warranty?

You can use synthetic. The manual also recommends Castro oil too, but I bet you want to use something you are familiar with.

BJ

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I've slways used synthetic and never had a problem gonna stick with that:smile:

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic Truck & SUV at all changes - dealer has no problem with this, and I'm happy to be using a top grade synthetic.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weight of the oil depends on the state/climate you live in, not what others are using. If you are in a cold area, yes, a 5W/30 might be a way to go, if in a more mild are then lean towards a 10W/40 and use a synthetic.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Toronto Canada, and it's about to get cold so I will go with 5W30 synthetic:smile:

do you change your oil every 5000km? Synthetic should last a little longer? We use KM in Canada that would equate to 8000 miles (US)

Let me know.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually that was backwards, 5000km is about 3100 miles. Personally, I think that's too frequent.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are right.:stupid:

so what is sufficient for synthectic oil?

10,000km - 6,250 miles
12,000km - 7,500 miles

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apples and oranges, but I believe the LR4s go 15K miles on synthetic. Its all a crap shoot unless you test your oil and see what state it is in when it comes out. I had these guys (http://www.blackstone-labs.com) run an analysis on my TT oil a couple times. I used synth in that for added turbo heat resistance, but otherwise I feel its a bit overkill. At 8 quarts a shot, it may be worth it to have them check the quality of what I just took out of the LR and see how it looks. Standard test is $25, but I got additionally the $10 TBN test to see how much additive life is left in the oil. YMMV

BTW, from their FAQ:
What's the best oil to use? Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right? Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.

bcaese

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I guess I will just check the oil periodically. Anywhere from 7000
To 10,000 is a good check but I think when they preach 5000, its just a money making sceme.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink