EpicLR4's 2014 LR4 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubroz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried placing a custom order today for a new MY14 and the dealer told me that there is an engine shortage and they cant place any new orders. He said that production on LR4's also may not resume for new orders at all. He told me that orders for new lr4's might stop until MY15. He is double checking with this general manager tommorow.This seems like complete BS.

Anyone out there hear the same??

Also, he said that MY15 will be a new body style. Also seems fishy.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried placing a custom order today for a new MY14 and the dealer told me that there is an engine shortage and they cant place any new orders. He said that production on LR4's also may not resume for new orders at all. He told me that orders for new lr4's might stop until MY15. He is double checking with this general manager tommorow.This seems like complete BS.

Anyone out there hear the same??

Also, he said that MY15 will be a new body style. Also seems fishy.

I've read a few times on different forums (US, British and German news) that there will be a completely new model for 2015... This could be confirming it...
On the plus side, it would be a much lighter model using "the" aluminum frame.
Let us know what comes out of this.

new2LR4

Reaction score
First post here on this forum. As user name suggests, my first LR4. Been lurking a while, tho, and appreciate everyone's sharing of information and their experiences in this forum. It was a great help in making some decisions.

I placed an order for a MY2014 on Jan 27 in Dallas. I have the order sheet confirming "Common Order No", but not sure what that means. It was placed through their Vista system. There was no mention of engine shortages, but the ordering process seems to baffle them as much as me. I am still waiting on confirmation of being within the dealer's allotment, but was told I should be good. Also, have no build date or delivery date, but from what I read, that is not unusual as it has only been a few weeks since the order was entered.

In any event, my build:

MY2014 LUX
Santorini black (I know, pain to keep clean, but I love black on autos)
Ebony interior
Black Lacquer interior finishers (not a real fan but I didn't care for their only wood choice with the black)
Vision Assist
HD package
Sat and HD radio (not sure why)

50 year old. No kids, so no rear entertainment. Also, no black package as I felt that with black truck, it can be too much of a good thing (only my opinion)

So, still waiting on updates from dealer. Not sure what surprises may be in store for me, but so far no mention of shortages or the like; just an arcane ordering process. The dealers seem to be decent enough guys, but as I said, a little clueless about the ordering processes, however, that doesn't seem to be unusual for LR.

Thanks again for everyone's time they spend giving input on the forum. It helps even when you may not know it does.

-Scott

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an inquiry in with 3 different dealerships on this topic.

LR accepts orders from their dealers once per month and all on the same day. The previous Order Day was about 2 weeks ago. I actually have 2 orders in for 2014 LUX models at 2 different dealerships. (I'll be canceling one before the build process begins - then my deposits become non-refundable.) The projected arrival date is June 2. That includes shipping which for me means an extra week or two for the ship to go through the Panama Canal. The typical process is for the order to be finalized just before the build begins in case there are any last minute changes of heart (options, etc.) This is supposed to happen in the next few weeks.

It may be that the things you are being told apply to any future Order Days. The next would not happen until near the end of February. And I would assume that delivery for those orders would be late June or July depending on whether your truck is shipped to the east or west coast.

Regarding the MY15 it has been often rumored that this will be a new body style using the aluminum body as on the others to improve their MPG. Personally, I do NOT want anything from the first (or maybe the second) model year. I have just gone through that with my Acura MY14 MDX and it has been a real pain. So for me, waiting for a MY15 is not an option. Also, I am not at all convinced that they whatever changes they make to the 2015 models will be what I want.

I have also heard rumors from my dealers that in the future they will be going to a couple more models. They might end up with a lower cost, less luxury vehicle for off roading enthusiasts. In any case, I would want any new models to settle out for a couple of years.

So if I don't get a MY14 this year I will be looking at a Land Cruiser or LX570.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My order for a MY2014 LR4 went in on February 6. The confirmation sheet, that starts with the 'Common Order No', also has a 'Current Planned build' date, and 'Current Planned Delivery' date (June 10, for me). (New2LR4: If you don't see an 'Order Accepted Date' nor a Current Planned Delivery date, that I'm thinking that the dealer needs to wait until their next allotment until your order gets accepted by LR. (I think that's what Dan was saying).
My sales guy cautioned me about believing the Current Planned Delivery date too fervently. He said that we would see it move back and forth during the build cycle, but should come out within a week of the original estimate.

Regarding the ordering system, I'm getting the impression that LR instituted a new or revised ordering system recently; because my sales guy said it was giving them fits. My order was started on Feb 1, but not finalized/accepted until the 6th.

Lastly, regarding the MY2015, I agree with Dan. I Never want the first (or second) model of a new design. The LR4 has been refined over it's lifetime, and although this may be the last issue of it's kind, we know it works; and works well. Also, although heavier, the traditional body on frame construction is (supposedly) stronger and better for off-roading.

Dan, I'm curious; why did you place 2 orders for your LR4? And what would cause you not to get the LR4 at all (and rather get the LC or LX570)?

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's telling that, on TopiX, the current L319 platform already includes the 2015 model year in the pull-down menu. If the whole new aluminum platform is coming to replace the current L319, it doesn't look like it will happen as a MY2015.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, I'm curious; why did you place 2 orders for your LR4? And what would cause you not to get the LR4 at all (and rather get the LC or LX570)?

Yea, Dan, why would you want to go for a LC or LX?!

Just drove home in the snow and the LR4 performed flawlessly! Passed a whole bunch of people that were struggling! Even went up a super steep hill for giggles to see how she did and got to use HDC on the way down. LR4 was awesome!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why the LC or LX? Because their more expensive and that always means better, right? LOL.

No worries. I most definitely want an 2014 LR4. I would only go that route if in fact something insane happened with the 2014 orders which left me without an 2014 LR4 and stuck with a first model year LR5 (or whatever they call it.) Time is not on my side. So if for some crazy reason LR can't deliver I need a Plan B. But it is clearly Plan B!

As for the two orders, I have two dealerships in the area. I am trying to decide which I want to work with over the long term. (Price, relationship, etc.) There was not cost to me at this point to place either order. And both dealerships are not worried about being able to sell what I order should I back out at the last minute. (This may have even helped their allocation.) I will need to cut one loose in the next week or two.

There is even an LR4 arriving at another dealership in the state that has everything that I want except the Vision Package. Argh! I definitely want that. Not for any one single thing but the combination of Blind Spot Monitoring, Adaptive Headlights w/ Auto Hi Beam and to a lesser degree the various cameras and views. So we wait. And hope that the rumors of any delays are just that - false rumors.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your LR4, epiclr4!

PAPAG

Reaction score
New to the forum. Ordered an LR4 today and awaiting the build and delivery dates. First time Land Rover owners. Jeeps in our past but have been without for about four years. When my wife expressed interest in an LR4 I was all over it!

LR4 HSE Lux
Fuji White
Ebony
Rear Seat Entertainment (for the grandkids)
Siruis XM
Heavy Duty Package
Vision Assist

Planning a trip to Ouray as soon as it arrives!

Great to read about everyone else's excitement and experience here!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great for you! And already planning a trip to Ouray. Awesome. My wife and I are planning a trip there in September. Some good videos on the trails around Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, etc. But you will need to wait at least until July for the snow to clear. Did they give you an idea of when it would be delivered? How old are your grandkids? Our first is still 4 months away so I'm on the fence about rear entertainment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4