Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KOs on my 18" Compomotive wheels and I run at standard height all the time, except on the trails.

I have put about 2,000 miles on them and there is zero rubbing. I do not stow the spare tire under the truck, though I know it is possible if you deflate it almost completely.

So far they have been great on the road and amazing off road, with the exception of mud almost a foot deep, but that is to be expected. ;-) A few times I had to head over some trails that were extremely rocky and likely may have cut my old Coopers and certainly the Contis and I had no problems with the BFGs. The only terrain I have not experiened is snow/ice; however, they are blizzard rated and I know a few people who rave about them in certain snow conditions.

That's my experience, hope it helps.

I have mine stored under the back. It is nowhere near flat though. Its got at least 20 some odd psi in it. The spare TPMS sensor does not go off. (I dont even have an IID tool yet to turn that off.)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine stored under the back. It is nowhere near flat though. Its got at least 20 some odd psi in it. The spare TPMS sensor does not go off. (I dont even have an IID tool yet to turn that off.)
I remember you were able to stow it, and I think I would be able to as well. The big thing for me is getting it back down, it could be challenging on the trails. I know some folks who remove it when off roading and then re-stow for the rest of the time.

I know Brandon actually had his BFG spare stowed in the spare bay, but the problem was it was tough to remove - he could speak it?

I actually still have my stock full-sized spare stowed away and I turned off TPMS to the spare tire with my IIDTool. I was going to remove the stock, but there were some wires up there, etc. that seem so exposed. So, I left it there for a bit of protection, even though it reduces rear clearance slightly. Once I get my spare BFG on the back, I'll remove it.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if people are running 265/65R18's at standard height, I shouldn't have too much of a problem running 275/65R18's with Johnson Rods. Plus, the JR website has tons of photos of people running 275/65R18's (on LR3s), particularly the Goodyear MT/R's.

I agree completely and still have the compro's sitting in the garage. I still haven't ordered the tires because I'm really afraid of the 275/65/18 rubbing. Everyday I change my mind on whether to go 265 or 275. I need to pull the trigger and would love of you to jump in first :):biggrin:

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree completely and still have the compro's sitting in the garage. I still haven't ordered the tires because I'm really afraid of the 275/65/18 rubbing. Everyday I change my mind on whether to go 265 or 275. I need to pull the trigger and would love of you to jump in first :):biggrin:

I'll go first for a small fee ;) If anyone wants to pay a small guinea pig fee, I'll order them today hehe. Otherwise you guys are going to have to wait at least a few more weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Finlay I've seen pics of your compo's. Does anyone else have pics of them mounted?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9f484990-2d1d-4992-8a8a-e9299d614b34_zps585653b7.jpg

DSC_5522_zps0c2a8d94.jpg

DSC_5524_zpsea1290b5.jpg

center caps
IMG_20130826_171554_zps658a77c2.jpg

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Umber, you are 265 as well? the 275 is tantalizing, just for the option of another mud terrain. :stupid: I think I have a tire fetish.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Umber, you are 265 as well? the 275 is tantalizing, just for the option of another mud terrain. :stupid: I think I have a tire fetish.
I think we all do! I think most of the regulars here are a bit obsessed. ;-)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a side note, you mentioned that you wanted to stay at stock height.

The 275 will probably work in a straight line but turning will be an issue.

Brandon runs johnson rods permanently. It gives him an increased height of 2.5".

I rub in the front wheel well even with the 35mm lift (thanks to the IIDTool).

You will also most likely need to relocate a few things in the back wheel wells.

Check the email posted by Umberto from Barry at Compomotive. If you can't find it, Barry sent me the same info I can forward it to you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99