Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I Am cheap... no resonator with the pipe going out the back and some $30 ****** muffler (slightly less noise than a glass pack). Whole exhaust cost me less than $150 at the local muffler shop... That was before I got around to buying my own Mig Welder.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You maybe cheap joey but at least if the pipe is going all the way out the back of the vehicle you are not ruining any of the parts with gases. I've seen too many rovers and other vehicles without a resonator or straight pipe out the very back. One in particular wasted the gas tank crusty rusty mess. I've tiigged up a stainless " California exhaust". Open and close the baffles with an airtank and solenoid.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borla makes, overall, the best catback system with their million mile warranty - kind of hard to beat! Moreover, they give you a nice idle rumble without being obnoxious. They do enhance performance through simply permitting your engine to breath more efficiently, However - that normally means you need to improve the aspiration of your engine at air-intake with a quality Cold Air intake system.

Where Borla or Magnaflow really sound best is teamed up with a good set of headers and, of course, that is because that is when they work best! Sound for sound's sake is not worth it but if you want performance improvement (which must include chipping your ECU so that it will not **** intake/exhaust gains) you will get the sound as well.

GreyMatter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borla makes, overall, the best catback system with their million mile warranty - kind of hard to beat! Moreover, they give you a nice idle rumble without being obnoxious. They do enhance performance through simply permitting your engine to breath more efficiently, However - that normally means you need to improve the aspiration of your engine at air-intake with a quality Cold Air intake system.

Where Borla or Magnaflow really sound best is teamed up with a good set of headers and, of course, that is because that is when they work best! Sound for sound's sake is not worth it but if you want performance improvement (which must include chipping your ECU so that it will not **** intake/exhaust gains) you will get the sound as well.

you can increase intake flow simply by adding a good filter..K&N or an equivalent (preferably a foam filter as the oil from a K&N can **** your MAF), and they dont make a CAI for my 06 RR that i have seen

granted they probably make one for his 96 disco

Last edited:

d.a.r.y.l

Reaction score
I think that the part that was left out is to replace the removed resonator with a pipe that will extend to near the back bumper.Maddie sure gets testy.There are some people that like to fly in something other than stealth mode.A little rumble gets the juices flowing.Good luck

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, you can indeed increase intake air-flow that way and it will work, for a short while, and then the GEMS ECU will tamp down any of the gains you made - it happened to Joey and to yours truly. There is only one way to make your mod gains permanent and that's chip that ECU - either with British Tornado dual-chip system (very expensive this side of the Atlantic) or the more moderately priced (but by no means cheap) PowerChip USA (actually - from Australia originally).

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Testy? I'll give you testy. One should find more productive things do than hack up your exhaust system.

SteezTight

Reaction score
thanks for all your input, im currently cleaning up the rocker arms to stop this squeaking noise so I have found a better use of my time. Im going to look into cutting off the resonator and also pussibly an muffler but at the moment I am quite content. I probably will just end up leaving it alone maddie...

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you mike!!!! You should remember that you have a very capable machine. A 96 with low mileage. Not every one has one so you should take care of it. Plenty of things to do preventive maintenance wise.

toecutter

Reaction score
my resonator was rusted out,so i cut it off and bought an aftermarket resonator.there was no notabale difference is sound,but it keeps the hot gas blowing out past the bumper.i 'm gonna look for a long flow master to replace the huge stocker, i dont want it sound like a drag car but i would like it to sound like a v8 instead of a honda.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90