Fading Plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, youre in the military(Im guessing?)..... Havent you learned to not ask whats the worst that can happen?!?!?!

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, fair enough.

I'm acually excited to try the shoe polish technique because I have a crap ton of it!

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha.... Aw, the perks of tan suede boots! One of the few thing we have on you chair.... I mean AIRforce cats ;).

In all seriousness though, I cant imagine that using shoe polish would be a very good idea. Id think that it might soak into the porous, causing it to discolor even more or worse, crack do to drying out. I just bite the bullet and use Back to Black on mine evey other weekend.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, I don't have to polish my boots anymore since the Air Force has gone to the "sage green" suede boots. I have to find some use for the old polish...

I've used the back to black on my old rover, but it's such a pain in the ****. most of the time it wouldn't even stick because by the time the morning dew ran off it took the b2b with it.

Seriously, there has to be a better solution, I mean LR has had this "problem" for ages. I've read where most people just take a rattle can to the plastic, but I'm not there yet.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemon Pledge

I used lemon Pledge two weeks ago and the plastic still looks great! It does attract dust though... but not too bad.

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are already faded - try this product

phpcAMe2y.jpg

303 Aerospace Protectant: http://www.amazon.com/303-Protectant-oz-Bottle-Spray/dp/B000GDB0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1240583625&sr=8-1

It lasts a long time, and has a UV block in it that stops sunlight fading them further.

It's non greasy, and doesn't splatter or creep onto your paintwork like some of the more 'slick' bumper treatments.

If the black stuff is new or in good condition (i.e. not faded) keep it like new by applying a UV blocking sealant twice a year.

This is a hardwearing sealer that lasts 6 mths, has a UV block to keep things from fading, but is NOT a product that adds blackness back to faded plastic.

It just keeps black plastic black!

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-7012-120.html

Ultima%20Paint%20Guard%20Plus%20Small.gif

I've found these two products to be the best on the market - the rest are a waste of money IMHO as you have to apply every week, and they do nothing to protect the plastic from fading.

gatorbob

Reaction score
If plastic such as door handles is already looking faded, does the 303 help it look "like new" or only protect from getting worse?

If they are already faded - try this product

phpcAMe2y.jpg

303 Aerospace Protectant: http://www.amazon.com/303-Protectant-oz-Bottle-Spray/dp/B000GDB0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1240583625&sr=8-1

It lasts a long time, and has a UV block in it that stops sunlight fading them further.

It's non greasy, and doesn't splatter or creep onto your paintwork like some of the more 'slick' bumper treatments.

If the black stuff is new or in good condition (i.e. not faded) keep it like new by applying a UV blocking sealant twice a year.

This is a hardwearing sealer that lasts 6 mths, has a UV block to keep things from fading, but is NOT a product that adds blackness back to faded plastic.

It just keeps black plastic black!

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ult-7012-120.html

Ultima%20Paint%20Guard%20Plus%20Small.gif

I've found these two products to be the best on the market - the rest are a waste of money IMHO as you have to apply every week, and they do nothing to protect the plastic from fading.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kiwi is a liquid dye not a paste and it works well. I've used it on my golf car and jet skis and it works great and very durable.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried the WD40 technique just to see what would happen. I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. The WD40 brought the black trim back to what it used to look like without leaving any film or smell behind. I washed the truck after just to get any residue off and noticed that the trim looked even better after the wash.

I'll be sure to follow the treatment up with a more protective coating.

Hopefully I don't go out in the morning to find all my black trim melted off from the WD40 "side effects" (if there are any).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99