Fading Plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that a few of us have gray fenders and bumpers it would be interesting to see what an LR dealer applies to bring the black back.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update.

I recently purchased a poorboy's world product the claims to be a trim restorer. It goes on really easy, isn't greasy and does not attract dust. The best thing about it is it doesn't have a super high gloss, it just reconditions the trim. It's been on for about a month and through a couple of storms and still looks good.

It's a little pricey, but worth it.

Here's the link if interested.. http://www.poorboysworld.com/trim-restorer.htm

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. How much do you feel one should buy? How much of the product did you use to treat your rig? Thanks!

J.D.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. How much do you feel one should buy? How much of the product did you use to treat your rig? Thanks!

J.D.

J.D,

I bought the 16 oz bottle, because I wanted to test it-they do offer a 32 oz (that I'll buy after this runs out) bottle. A little goes a long way, but I used maybe .5 oz just to be sure everything got an even coat. I sprayed it directly to the cloth vs. the parts to keep the over-spray down. I'm going to try a sponge on my next application.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J.D,

I bought the 16 oz bottle, because I wanted to test it-they do offer a 32 oz (that I'll buy after this runs out) bottle. A little goes a long way, but I used maybe .5 oz just to be sure everything got an even coat. I sprayed it directly to the cloth vs. the parts to keep the over-spray down. I'm going to try a sponge on my next application.

Do you have any before/after pictures?

J.D.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on the "do it once and be done" bandwagon! RvDUB - you use the permanent stuff? How easy does it come off paint? Maybe better to lay down some masking tape first?

J.D.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How easy does it come off paint? Maybe better to lay down some masking tape first?

J.D.

Just keep a damp cloth with you and you can wipe it off the paint before it dries. If it dries on the paint then you will need a little rubbing compound to remove it. Masking would be a good idea! Below is the "Application Tip from the website.

Application Tip: Keep a damp rag handy. If you accidentally get the dye on paintwork or glass it will easily wipe off with a damp rag. If the dye dries on paintwork or glass it can still be easily removed using a mild polish.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could DYE your plastic and never touch it again! I have been buying all my car detailing supplies at properautocare.com for years. They have a couple product's that work really well!

Here is a DYE that you can use and never touch it again!
http://www.properautocare.com/fb-1k.html
Or here is a dressing you could use every few month's
http://www.properautocare.com/blackwow1.html

Check out this link to LRR forums, He used Forever Black (Permanent Stuff) and looks sweet

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are a few pics after using the forever black. i used a small rag to put it on and did two coats. i wasn't a big fan of the applicator. it came out a bit streakier than i would have liked (tried to show this in a couple of pics), however from a few feet away it looks great. i might put another coat on it at some point to see if it will even out better. i used about 1/2 a bottle for the two coats. still need to do around the windows and the rack. i'll try post an update in a few months to see if this stuff wears well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4