Fading Plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are a few more...can't wait to get it off the concrete in a couple of weeks. by the way, my plastic trim looked pretty awful before the forever black, and at this point i would recommend it, although it is a pain in the rear to put on.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cbboard, have you washed since the application? That might be something that will even it out as well?? Otherwise it did make the plastic look black again!

J.D.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a bottle of forever black about 4 months ago, tested it with the foam applicator and have been reluctant. Cbboard, it looks fantastic. I'm going for it and will post pics. Any recommendations for application? The foam cap that comes with forever black didn't work too well during my test.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i washed the truck the morning b/4 putting the forever black on. i'll probably wash it next week and see if it evens it out a bit. i am not a huge fan of the streaks, but it is way better than my old mottled gray plastic.

i didn't tape anything off when applying the forever black. i just kept a soapy rag with me to wash off my mistakes. it was messy. i still have a few black finger nails. it was too hot for me to justify latex gloves.

i didn't like the foam applicator. it was very small and tore up a bit on my A frame where it was rough. i just squeezed out the forever black into a small cup and dipped a cut off piece of a rag into the solution and then tried put it on evenly (key word tried). a foam paint brush might be worth trying as well. don't apply the solution in the direct sun as the black plastic gets hot and the solution evaporates quick.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried the Forever Black on a piece of spare trim that I have. First coat resulted in streaks, second coat went on and I can barely see any streaks. The trim piece looks great, I'm going to try a third coat just to see what happens. I wet down a paper towel to try and see if I could smear or wash off the Forever Black after my second coat, virtually none of the Forever Black came off or ended up on the towel. Next time I wash my LR3 I'm going to put on the Forever Black.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: 3rd coat dried without any streaks. Looks like as long as you keep applying the Forever Black the streaks reduce / go away. The color difference between the trim piece and where I applied the Forever Black is pretty distinct, don't know how long it will hold up but it looks good.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've jumped on the Forever Black bandwagon!

This stuff is as good as they say. I put 3 coats on today. Streaking is a problem, but I found if you take a dry terry cloth towel and buff the surface the streaks go away and leave the factory-like sheen.

The color is nice and not greasy looking.

As with any treatment, we'll see how long it lasts...

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished putting 3 coats of Forever Black on all the trim including the very faded piece right below the winshield. Washing the trim is key, as I got lazy and didn't wash the windshield piece and it didn't turn as black. I had streaking along the wheel arches but the front and rear bumpers did not. Not sure why. Also, the below door trim came out perfect without streaks. I'll try to post a picture soon but am impressed with the results. Another tip, we had a hard rain yesterday and I drove home from work through it. When I got home I took a towel and wiped off the trim, especially ******* the wheel arches. This has reduced the streaking by 75%. So I guess if you end up with streaks a little water and buffing with a towel or terry cloth fixes it. I recommend this product.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo