Fault code p0442?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the CE light yesterday and came up with p0442, Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak). Any ideas?

Also, I have noticed the anti-freeze smell with the truck running or just shut down. I'm not noticing any coolant in the oil but I'm guessing a head gasket leak? Another leak I think I'm getting is the intake manifold gasket, as oil is running down the side of the transmission bellhousing. Not sure if any of this is related to the CE fault code.

Any advise is appreciated. TIA

D

discomike

Neither of your leaks would set that code. Could be a loose or failing gas cap or a leak at or around the carbon canister.
If you are smelling coolant, have a shop do either a presure test or a head gasket test to rull that out.
The intake manifold gasket leak is not too hard to repair.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I did have a hard time filling up the other day. I'd start the pump and after about a gallon, the gas nozzle would stop, as it would if the tank were full. It would back up like there was a blockage of some sort, not allowing anymore gas in. It's done that before but I've always been able to get gas in there. Any other ideas Mike?

D

discomike

You might want to inspect the vent line fron the tank, but other then that you might want to check with your mechanic, I'am stumped.
Sorry,
Mike j.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99