Favorite Roof Rack? (boats, boards and a storage box)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LED light bar is wired up along the driver side to the rear. I plan on drilling a hole with a grommet for wires at some point, but for how they just run out the tailgate between the door seal (which works well and doesn't leak). The rear LED lights are on a remote that we use around camp a lot, they light up the whole camp if we need.

The wind noise is minimal with the wind fairing. The flooring also helps keep it quite.

If you can mount roof lighting back or close to the roof, you can block a lot of the hood spill. I am still playing with the idea of getting an ARB bumper, in part because front lighting from a bumper is better. We only really use the rack front light on a trail or in the woods to light an area at low or no speed.

IMG_20151226_193203_zpspvjulhwn.jpg

You should consider making the middle bar removable if you can.. that way it doesn't limit your uses of the rack. You could also get it without side rails at all, but it would not be as strong and I find the side rails very useful for tying down random things up top.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUESTION - does anyone know if I can by third party cross bars (Thule, Yakima, Rhino...) that attach to the OEM siderails and are not limited to the 5 fixed pre-sets that the LR crossbars need to sit in?

I was thinking... keep it simple maybe I just buy the OEM extended side rails, but use someone else's cross bars so I can put a bar all the way back and all the way forward.

I ran the ProSpeed rack to ground and it unfornately won't work for me. The Yakima won't attach to those cross bars. Their only option is to buy a cross bar rod that would then have to be permanently mounted to my skybox, which causes other issues for me. They also noted that if I lay a boat up on top of it, it could damage the front wind faring. It's a great looking rack but seems that I'd have to mod it quite a bit to have it work for me.

FrontRunner makes something that is called the Load Bar Kit. It's kind of ugly but would suit my needs. Can't find many pictures of it online, but it does put a bar full back and full forward, which is what I like. (image1, image 2)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the look and the functionality of the backbone system from Rhino-Rack. The platform sits really low so it isn't too loud.
That's nice. I had seen the Rhino racks, but didn't know about the backbone system which sits nice and low.

I ended up going with a Front Runner rack solution. Once I got into looking at their sports accessories I saw a lot of potential to customize for just what I need without going full expedition. Once I get it set up, I'll post some pictures of it.

I really liked the ProSpeed but it just wont work for my needs. Traded several emails with the company in the UK who were supportive. It's amazing how many of these racks are designed to support the roof top tents. They must be very popular in other parts of the world. In the states, it seems like a novelty, but not anything you see regularly.

no-pistons

Reaction score
What size is the Rhino rack? Seems like they have a few different sizes listed on their site that uses the backbone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wlvrn

Reaction score
For those of you with roof rack LED bars... what path are you taking to run the power down from the lights to the fuse box?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you with roof rack LED bars... what path are you taking to run the power down from the lights to the fuse box?

I have not run lights up to a roof rack, but under the plastic exterior trim panels that cover the A-Pillars would be an excellent place to hide some wiring.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM