First time off-road in the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildewinds

Reaction score
Took my wife, two nephews, one niece, and my two daughters on an off-road adventure yesterday. Took a trail up to Big Bear Lake, California.

On the way there, used a tow strap to pull a dude stuck in the gravel on the side of the road. Once out of the holes he had created by trying to get un-stuck, he almost got stuck again. I had to drive his truck to the hardpack. Then we noticed he had a flat tire, I left a guy with a jeep and a compressor to handle the rest.

Once on the trail, the LR3 was amazing. I had done the same trail in my Toyota Tacoma a few years back, and it was a real bounce-fest. Loud too. This time, in the LR, not only did I have SEVEN people in the car, but it was so smooth that eventually three of them were able to take a nap. Didn't try anything risky, but we did do a few things to make it exciting. The hill descent control got a nice workout a few times. Going up a few steep grades were amazingly easy.

Here are a couple shots.

113819943.gif

113819944.gif

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! And welcome! What was the name of the trail? I'm in LA and might give it a shot.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great shots! Willow Creek Rd.?

Last edited:

Wildewinds

Reaction score
It's trail 3N16. It has a few other names, but that's the official one. Off of Highway 18 and Green Valley Lake Rd. on the way to Big Bear. Easy and long, about 26 miles.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's trail 3N16. It has a few other names, but that's the official one. Off of Highway 18 and Green Valley Lake Rd. on the way to Big Bear. Easy and long, about 26 miles.

That's a fun, scenic trail. One of the best (and only) places I've found where you can wheel for a while, pull off to the side and camp. SB national forest is great like that. You can shoot anywhere too as long as you are 100' from the road.

Wildewinds

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know about the shooting thing. Gotta bring the guns next time.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the fold. So is it time for the 2"lift? You will fall in love with your rig each time you take it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM