Found an LR4, a couple pre-purchase questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the help thus far, folks. You guys have been a wealth of information.
If all goes well, it'll still be 2-3 weeks before I put eyes on this LR4 as it has to be shipped up from a CarMax in Florida, title needs printed before shipping out of state, inspection upon delivery, etc...

The one I'm looking at is the tan color with the dark brown seats. It's a LUX with the rear seat entertainment package, not sure if it has the moving Xenon lights or not. Unfortunately, when the CarMax guy put it on hold for me, the listing disappeared online so everything I need to know now I have to ask for specifically.

Still, it looks to be in really good shape and I just had a facetime chat with him where he walked around the car and looked at everything I asked him to. Other than one 1/2" cut on the passenger door side leather, it looks pretty clean. Based on the AutoCheck history, I suspect this was a fleet vehicle at the dealership for the first 7000 miles. Not ideal, but at least I know they did all the service if it was under their care. Hmmm...

It's also out of warranty at 54K which bothers me, but, it's the best one I've found in the week or two I've been looking. I'm not in a mad rush, I don't need this car, but as you know it is mostly base units out there. The only thing this doesn't have which I like is the black design package, but I can do most of that after market (dark grates, side vents, paint the rims...)

If you can answer any of these, great, if not, maybe they'll help the next lemming who buys a used LR4;

1) Will my full size 19" spare from my LR3 fit on my LR4? I wasn't sure if the lug pattern is different or any other clearance issues. If so, I'll take that from my LR3. I'm not getting much from that on re-sale since it has 223K on it, mine as well take what I can off it.

2) The new one won't have a tow package, my LR3 does. Is there a standard socket under the truck that will fit the LR3/4 hitch receiver or was that an option also? Is it worth me removing the wiring harness from my LR3?

3) Thoughts on an extended warranty? Carmax sells them and the cost to 100,000 miles, 60 months with $150 deductable is $4500. Any thoughts on the carmax warranty vs. others? I'd get all the work done with my private mechanic. Not at Carmax or my dealer, unless it is required based on firmware updates.

4) Should I keep looking around for one still under warranty? I may be jaded as my LR3 has been pretty reliable, so I don't feel like it is a huge risk. But, if I found the car I want under 50K miles, it'd probably be more expensive by the cost of the warranty anyway, so it's a wash.

Appreciate any advice. Sorry for the rambling...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the VIN, you can look it up on www.landrovertechinfo.com and see exactly what options / packages were included at the factory on that HSE Lux (Vision Assist, HD, Sat Radio, etc.) There were different styles of 19" LR3 wheels, but as far as I know they should all fit the LR4. If the one you are considering comes with a compact size donut as spare, it probably doesn't have HD, but who knows for sure. Best to get the VIN and do your own research.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer all your questions, but I know the hitch receiver fits LR3 and LR4. I still use my old one. Same thing for the wiring harness. I transferred them from my old ride.

I also have my old LR3 spare (I added one). I've never actually put a new tire on it and put it under the car, but I think it's possible. I probably should sell it. I know the tire is the same.

I'd just get the Carmax warranty. Mine has 51,000 on it. I got quoted $4,500 for an extended warranty recommended by LR4 when mine recently expired (I'm running ***** now). You may want to ask the dealership who they use.

I've owned my car since new and it's been great. I may regret this, but running ***** (no warranty) shows my confidence in the 12 LR4s

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright...I'll take the spare, I'll figure out how to rip out the wiring harness, the hitch is a no brainer, I'll strongly consider the warranty, and topix was the trick for confirming options! (no locking diff, no tow package, no full size spare)

Appreciate the feedback!

Does this come with skid plates are were those options as well with an offroad pack?

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They've got the same plates as the LR3. Best part is you never have to take 'em off! (at least for oil changes) Dang, you won't believe how much fun oil changes are now, lol!

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh...that lr3 front skid plate. Memories (of knocking off the plastic one and having to replace it with steel). That's one of the things they re-designed. No issues in this version, stock

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the SKID PLATES, the last two posts conflict each other.
Roverman says they are the same plates.
jptruck says they are re-designed.
I'll have to look under my truck and remind myself if it's just the front skid plate or if there is one behind it. Again, just wondering if I should pull them off the LR3...

Oil changes. I've heard it's a pump-out now. My mechanic said the drain plug is still there, they just hid it or something...

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not picturing a plastic skid plate.... What I can tell you is the big one covering the oil plug, and the little one that you have to remove to get to the filter, are identical. You need to buy a mighty vac ($90 or so). hook it up to an attachment inside the oil filler hole and it sucks all the oil out in a few minutes. It's actually pretty genius, can't believe it took em 100 years to figure this one out!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory "dust plates" that come with the car should be the same. There are two styles of dealer installed accessory front skid plates available, one for the LR3 and one for the LR4 (both made by Mantec for Land Rover, IIRC.) The design is different - the LR4's flares wider on the front end to better match the lower bumper. However, I would almost be willing to bet you that a Mantec skid plate off an LR3 would fit the LR4 - it wouldn't look quite right perhaps, but it would fit. The mounting holes / bolts / fixing points are the same. The aftermarket skid plate on my LR4 (made by Asfir) was originally marketed for the LR3, and later for RRS and LR4 as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72