Front Differential Failure-51,000 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR NA said they would call my dealer and check on things today. She said they can't promise anything but they will see what they can do-

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recall for the RR did include the 05 MY. If they say they're not going to do anything maybe you could remind them of the RR recall and let them know you feel this may be the same problem. It may change their tune a little. Rather fix yours then have another big recall issue. Its worth a shot

Bremerbuttjer

Reaction score
Not sure if in anyway helpful or related but I am having my rear differential replaced at 30k under warranty due to whining noise. Dealer told me that LR is aware of problems with rear and front diff's as the inside coating used in the factory is apparently disolved by the diff fluid and the leaves the fluid saturated with particles, causing the diff's to make noises and eventually fail. Plenty of complaints with LR NA as diff's for 2005 LR3 HSE have been on backorder and come directly from the UK now.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that I was told that the diff fluids only get changed at 100k miles. I did mine much sooner. Cost a couple hundred to do it, but a little bit of insurance, especially since I have many miles offroad.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have my truck back-will call LR NA early next week to follow up. Good to have wheels again regardless. Parts, labor and alignment came to $2800.00 including a sunroof fix. I will update when I hear back.

m5ccie

Reaction score
Watch out for any diff. leaks. I had a small coolant leak, took it in, dealer called and said the front diff. was leaking too and they replaced the diff. under warranty.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick search on the NHTSA website found at least two complaints of front differential failures on MY05 LR3's.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

LR NA said that they will provide 100% reimbursement for the front diff fix! Will take a few weeks to process check. Will pay for most of my extended warranty-how ironic.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to hear that there is a happy ending to your issue.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good to hear that there is a happy ending to your issue.

Thanks-I was actually going to abandon the brand if they did not pull though in some way. Unless I pulled stumps for a living, there is no excuse for that kind of mechanical failure in a vehicle with just over 50K miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM