Front Driveshaft Removal Help Greatly Appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

importlvr1883

Reaction score
I have an 01 Disco II with about 94k on it. I have replaced only one of the u-joints before and ever since have experienced vibrations around 75 - 80 mph. I'm taking the front driveshaft out tomorrow (12/4/07) to take it to a shop and get it balanced. I just want any recommendations as to taking it out. Things I should or should not do since I've never done this before and would rather do it myself then pay someone 2 or more hours worth of labor to do so. I've read on the Rave CD to mark the prop shaft and mating components for when I put them back in. What exactly does that mean? It also basically says to just remove all the bolts and the shaft comes out. Any other help would be great.

Thanks in advance

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you certain the others arent bad.

and actually we usually replace the whole thing or replace all three ujoints. its a waste of time to do one.

but if you pull it use a 9/16th swivel socket to get it off and use the same wrench to take the off,

importlvr1883

Reaction score
Found that out the hard way

Yeah I found out about the 9/16ths wrench the hard way. But I ended up replacing the whole driveshaft and most of my problems seem to be solved. I still get some vibration around 80 mph or a little above but not at 75mph any more. Seems to be speed related and not rpm related. I also had the tires balanced and rotated. Not sure exactly what the issue is but the new shaft definitely helped. The tires have been on the truck for almost 50k so something could be wrong with them? Not sure

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink