Fuel leak with replaced tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LR3Dude

I recently had my fuel tank replaced as part of the recall. On Sunday Morning April 17th I went out to start the LR3. It would not turn over and after several tries began to smell gas. Got out and saw what seemed to be enough gas on the ground under the LR3 to cause a fire. I called the fire department immediately. They put absorbent material on the ground and cleared the LR3 for towing. Being Easter Sunday it took 3 hours to get a tow. What’s amazing is that I had spent the week driving around for Spring Break (500+ miles) with my family and was even off road (beach, not rocks), imagine if the leak occurred then!! I’m on the east coast and we have fire warnings due to the drought. I’ll keep you posted once I get an answer from the dealer.

C

Cat

Maybe vehicle will be "smart" enough to fail next time when you are driving by dealer during the week , in the middle of the day ...hehehe

S

shod

lr3dude - been there - done that... mine went in for a check engine for which they dropped the tank. After getting home and getting out of the LR3 i smelled gas and to make a long story short... its fixed. (2 clowns did show up to tow it - one of the actually started it so he can move it 2 feet up so he can see under it better)

L

LR3Dude

Update:
The fuel return line from the engine became disconnected from the gas tank which caused the gas to pump out to the ground. The dealer was responsive in its repair (they also replaced the wood kit which was defective) but it was in service for a week. Unfortunately, I lost half a tank of gas as part of the reapir and the dealer didn’t replace the gas. After my call they apologized said they will on my next visit.

On the other hand Land Rover of North America (LRNA) experience was bizarre. Per the dealer’s suggestion, I called about the damage to my driveway and loss of gas. I called LRNA and explained what happened and that my wife’s fear of the vehicle since my 7 year and my wife and I stepped into a pool of gas upon exiting the vehicle during the incident.

I’ve had numerous problems (electrical failures) with the vehicle, so this gas leak really didn’t make my day nor reassure my wife of the LR3 reliability and safety. The LRNA representative seemed concerned and would contact the dealer. I got a call back from LRNA today 4/26 (called them 4/16) and the representative conveyed that they were not going to buy back the LR3. Which is interesting, since I never suggested that. All I wanted to know is can they have a regional/national tech check into this and provide us assurance that this was a freak occurrence and if any consideration would be given regarding the driveway and inconvenience. The answer was no. Actually a lot of “no’s” conveyed by whoever she reported to.

So I said please convey the following to whoever “they” are: I thought Ford was trying to retain customers. Apparently not, so convey to they that I’m severing my relationship with Land Rover and buying an Audi Q7, I’ve filed a safety compliant with NHSTA (#10156149), my best friend is not buying a LR3 based on the problems I’ve encountered, and I’m examining our state’s lemon law which will put the "buy back" in play that I never requested. Am I crazy, does LRNA assumes that everyone wants their LR3 bought back by LRNA? LRNA sounds self destructive. Maybe I was crazy to stick with Land Rover after they replaced my Disco II engine.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want "kiss ass" customer service, Land Rover is not the one to deal with. You will run into some clueless and confused folks just trying to do their job. Lexus would deliver a fruit basket and send over masseuse and you'd forget about it. :smile:

It's just how it is. Be patient... and you are free to attempt to escalate -- they do try in many cases.

So, did the dealer cause your problem? An incorrect install of your fuel tank? You said it happened after they did the recall swap, right? I assume that required them to reattach the fuel return line.

Sorry to hear about your problems... mine have been minor so far and I still love the beast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635