Fuel tank capacity- Sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been stopping at my gas station a few times (too many) already and have figured out that there is no way the fuel tank capacity on my 2013 is anywhere near the 23 US gallons stated on the Owner's Manual. Maybe it used to be 23 gallons until last year or back when the car was called LR3... I used to fill up my 2006 RRS with as many as 22 gallons and change when I was on fumes, so that figure seemed accurate. On the LR4 however, so far I have been unable to buy more than 17.5 gallons of premium, and that was after the low fuel warning light had been on for a while, about 30 miles left in the range display.

Either the Distance To Empty and reserve light on my 2013 are grossly inaccurate and overly conservative (don't much care to find out if they are...) or, in my unscientific estimate after a handful of fill-ups, the tank of the LR4 holds only 19 gallons, 20 tops, and my Owner's Manual is dead wrong. That's not a lot of fuel for this morbidly obese gas guzzler designed for overlanding in the boonies, no? What were they thinking when they decided to shrink the fuel tank?

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try regular, may be it will fit better... lol :)

I had the same suspicion until ones I stayed on completely (per indicator) empty tank for much longer then I should. I got to GS and was able to fit 21G that time. I think, since the mileage per gallon in not the greatest here, ~13mpg, LR just give us a chance to get to gas station in case we missed the dead line. Your 30 miles range is over 2 G of fuel already… So I believe that the dry tank will take 23.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be adventurous. Let me know how many gallons after you run out of gas;) my max fill was about 21 gallons. But I push it as I fill up every other day.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't depend on the computer to be accurate, they never have been.

kdegLR4

Reaction score
Put in 22.4 gallons last night after driving on "0 miles remaining" for about 8-9 miles. Coolish temperature (low 40s).

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, think its the computer giving you a really early warning an in accurate estimate to empty.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar questions when I got my truck.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23425

Bottom line, for a car with such lousy MPG, they should have a bigger tank. If I fill up when the reserve light comes on, I am usually putting a little over 18 gallons back in...if I am just doing in city stop and go driving, thats 230 miles...highway driving is much better though...

The only time I think this will probably really bother me is when i take my trips to mojave...the cars i travel with all have better range and I hate being the one to always raise the need to refuel. I probably need to think of getting a rack or some sort of external carrier for my 5g jerry cans...right now I usually just throw them in the back of someone else's truck.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar questions when I got my truck.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23425

Bottom line, for a car with such lousy MPG, they should have a bigger tank. If I fill up when the reserve light comes on, I am usually putting a little over 18 gallons back in...if I am just doing in city stop and go driving, thats 230 miles...highway driving is much better though...

The only time I think this will probably really bother me is when i take my trips to mojave...the cars i travel with all have better range and I hate being the one to always raise the need to refuel. I probably need to think of getting a rack or some sort of external carrier for my 5g jerry cans...right now I usually just throw them in the back of someone else's truck.
Hey bromhead,

I agree completely. This is why I have external jerry cans - the tank should be a LOT bigger.

-David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72