Full Size Spare Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys...first off thanks for all the advice on my previous post regarding tire options for the 19" wheels. after much debate, i bought some 18" wheels, got 'em powder coated black, and am putting on some coopers this week. i'll post some picks when done.

my current spare is a full size 18" wheel with a crappy oem goodyear 255/60/18. i am thinking it would be best to buck up and buy an extra cooper 285/60/18 tire to put on the spare. after reading older posts, it sounds like this size of tire won't fit well under the truck. for those of you running these, how aired down do they have to be to fit under there? also, are you carrying an on board air compressor? any recommendations on a compressor? thanks in advance!

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that issue myself. I haven't tried airing down or removing that plastic shield yet, but I believe that someone on one of the forums has done it. I know I read it somewhere. I do carry an air compressor, almost at times.

I bought one of the Green Slime branded compressors at PepBoys, complete with Nylon carry case. Be sure to check the part of the hose that connects to the valve stem. DON'T get one that is plastic, it WILL brake if used in cold weather (been there and was screwed).

I think if I could find one, I've got my wife's OK to purchase a Swing-Away tire carrier and just put it outback.
BJ

Last edited:

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO let me ask this. I know the 19" rims on the HD package will fit under the Landy so what size tire on the 18" rims fit?

Learth

Reaction score
How often do you use the spare to warrant the extra money and hassle of doing this? What's the point? So if you do use the spare, you drive on it for a day or 2? Is that really worth all the hassle and bother?

Trynian

Reaction score
hey guys...first off thanks for all the advice on my previous post regarding tire options for the 19" wheels. after much debate, i bought some 18" wheels, got 'em powder coated black, and am putting on some coopers this week. i'll post some picks when done.

my current spare is a full size 18" wheel with a crappy oem goodyear 255/60/18. i am thinking it would be best to buck up and buy an extra cooper 285/60/18 tire to put on the spare. after reading older posts, it sounds like this size of tire won't fit well under the truck. for those of you running these, how aired down do they have to be to fit under there? also, are you carrying an on board air compressor? any recommendations on a compressor? thanks in advance!

You will need to lower the pressure to about 20 psi, enough pressure to get you to a gas station to air up.

If you remove the plastic shield you can get a little more clearance and increase the psi

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you use the spare to warrant the extra money and hassle of doing this? What's the point? So if you do use the spare, you drive on it for a day or 2? Is that really worth all the hassle and bother?

Well I would use a full size spare for off-roading about 10 times a year . More if I am lucky! I don't want to be on a trail and blow a tyre and have to rely in the LR donut spare.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts: You can fit a 31.5' tire (285/60/18) tire such as the Nitto or Cooper in the spare tire cargo area. If you remove the heat shields it fits pretty well, but if you keep the heat shields, you will need to air it down pretty far, hoist it up, then add air to it. You can experiment in your driveway, but airing it up to 30psi was fine for me, and I could still get it back down.

HOWEVER, if you are wanting this spare tire accessible when off roading, I suggest NOT putting it under the car. It's a difficult, awkward, and potentially unsafe location to access in most off road conditions when you might blow a tire. I reccommend throwing the tire into the rear of the truck. I used two ratchet straps, and pushed the tire up against the passenger side, and strapped it to the tie down points. Never moved, never had an issue accessing the tire when off roading.

For compressors, the best cheap compressor is someone else's :) The next best is the MV-50 (do a Google search). Better models, such as the Viair 400 will fill it faster, and can be portable, or hard mounted into the truck, like this: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=34

Even better than a compressor is something like a PowerTank. The 10 lbs system is perfect for our little tires, and they fill very fast, but cost quite a bit.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Learth: I would want to have a full-sized spare at all times. If I ran Coopers most of the time then I'd want one under there. I agree with Nathan that for off-roading it'd be better to have on in the back.

I do both. I have the full-sized 19" wheel/tire under the rig all the time...and when I go off-road (I leave the 19" spare alone and) I throw a matching-sized spare (on an 18" rim) in the boot.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great point's Nwoods! It would be better to have the Full Size spare inside or even on the top or back of the LR. Thanks !

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
makes a lot of sense . . . guess that's why these guys are who they are!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99