Greasy transmission, should I be worried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This looks like engine oil and despite the ugliness is probably not a major issue. I has a slight weep from the passenger valve cover that was annoying in our last 2013 that made a similar mess but was not a threat to the vehicle at all. Wipe some of it and smell it and see if it smells like trans or engine oil, they are very different smells.

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
So I finally gave up and had an LR Indy shop take a look at it. They said it's the rear seal, and quoted $2.5k. Is that reasonable? That just sounds high. I know the transmission has to come out, but still.

Don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough to take on that job....yet. Should I try to pair this job with other jobs (while I'm in there add-ons)? Any recommendations? Transmission pan swap?

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally gave up and had an LR Indy shop take a look at it. They said it's the rear seal, and quoted $2.5k. Is that reasonable? That just sounds high. I know the transmission has to come out, but still.

Don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough to take on that job....yet. Should I try to pair this job with other jobs (while I'm in there add-ons)? Any recommendations? Transmission pan swap?
Did you look at the workshop manual... its a big job.
Frankly, I'm the kind of guy that changes fluids whenever opportunity arrises. I know nothing of your vehicle but unless the fluid and pan were recently changed...

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It pays 10 hrs to R+R the transmission. So, quote is about right.
Also, you have to factor in things that can go wrong. Like broken cat convertor bolts.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless that greasy mess is hitting the ground I would ignore it and run a high mileage oil to see if that will swell the seal enough to stop the leak.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get a second opinion to be sure unless you know those guys well enough not to stick it to you when the issue was really a valve cover gasket as mentioned. During my research prior to purchasing I don't think I even read about a rear main seal go bad but I'm sure they are out there. Nothing like the coolant system problems. I had valve cover gasket leak oil and it would smoke at the end of the off-ramp.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112