Greebbrier Resort Off-Road Driving School

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

schafari

Yes, that is just like my technique. (Of course I have the windows down and am flippin the bird to the Nancy LR instructors. . . Ha, just kidding of course.)

J

jwc3

I forgot to mention one thing that the off-road instructor said he does NOT like about the vehicle. Hill Decent Control is active ALL THE TIME. So, if you're on the highway going 80 and someone presses the button, or something falls on the button and activates it, the car will instantly slow to HDC speed. (I think it's 5 mph.)

Our instructor said he learned this one the hard way. The car practically stood on its nose. Fortunately there wasn't anyone behind them when the button was hit, otherwise they would have been rear-ended on the highway.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwc3 said:
I forgot to mention one thing that the off-road instructor said he does NOT like about the vehicle. Hill Decent Control is active ALL THE TIME. So, if you're on the highway going 80 and someone presses the button, or something falls on the button and activates it, the car will instantly slow to HDC speed. (I think it's 5 mph.)

Our instructor said he learned this one the hard way. The car practically stood on its nose. Fortunately there wasn't anyone behind them when the button was hit, otherwise they would have been rear-ended on the highway.
That would be scary. I have noticed that the button is a push and hold button. You have to have it depressed for a second or two before it engages. Probably precisely for that reason.

On a recent off road adventure, I had one of the traction systems (DSC?) continue to operate when I was back on dry pavement. I was entering a sharp twisty canyon road turn just a mile or so after exiting the trail head. The anti-lock brakes grabbed very hard in the front, but only momentarily. I was able to drive through it just fine and from the outside it was probably unnoticable, but from the inside my heart was pounding plenty hard.

I have learned to turn off the car and "reboot" it after a hard run on a trail, before proceeding down the road. Never had any problems if I take that precaution.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwc3 said:

For the record I JUST tried HDC @ 55mph and msg center said I was too fast to engage HDC so I slowed down until HDC lamp came on but no earth shattering events took place so I'd better have my dealer check it out :wink:

Cheers,
John

J

jwc3

Oh, well that's good to know. Perhaps they changed it from 2005 to 2006? Or perhaps it can be changed at the dealership with a software upgrade? I'll have to test my LR3 today...

A

aah78

wow! those pictures are great!

you sure seem to have had an amazing time.
just a question - what tyres (tires) was your test-car running?

my LR3 has the stock 18" V-rated wheels/tires - was wondering how long they'd last on such terrain as you've traversed

J

jwc3

aah78 said:
just a question - what tyres (tires) was your test-car running?

As I mentioned in my original post, the LR3s that we drove are stock. So, they're using the standard tires that came with the vehicle. The only modification was the tire pressure, which was lowered to increase grip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99