Greebbrier Resort Off-Road Driving School

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jwc3

Echoes, here's a few more photos for you.

Attachments

• ORDS-6.jpg
    ORDS-6.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 123
J

jwc3

This section of the course consisted of man-made whoop-de-dos full of mud.

Attachments

• ORDS-7.jpg
    ORDS-7.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 119
S

schafari

That look like great fun. I do have one question however. Look at how dirty the wheels are in a couple of the photos, yet everything including the body right next to the wheel almost looks spotless. I think I need to go to off-road school, as my truck is way dirty after good off-roading like that.

J

jwc3

When I was driving in the muck, I was instructed to move at walking speed. This follows the off-roading mantra: "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary." It also reduces trail errosion.

I never had any wheel slip becasue I was driving slow and steady. I was never slinging mud. If you go fast, you're more likely to hit an obstacle, like a rock, and have the suspension compress, which brings the underside of the vehicle even closer to the rock. If you go too fast, you'll break something. If you go too slow you won't have momentum and you'll get stuck. It's about technique, not raw power and agression.

One thing our instructor said is that often people only worry about clearing an obstacle with their front wheels. They have an "out of sight, out of mind" approach and often hit the gas too hard after the front wheels are clear. This causes damage to the tail pipe, etc. The rear wheels have to clear the same spot, so go just as slow for them, too.

Here's a close-up of the mud I was driving in:

Attachments

• ORDS-8.jpg
    ORDS-8.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
B

bdog

You went through all that and not a spot of mud on the white paint? I read the slow and steady response you made, but if the instructure wasn't there, I would have had my wipers on hitting that mud hole. Nice pics!

S

schafari

Hum, that is a different technique than I am using. Typically I get a goin real good and floor it just before entering the mud holes, all the while the windows are full down and I am yellin "yee ha, screw them greenies. . ."

Just kidding of course. That is really amazing however. So clean. I have the java black paint so I am sure that shows a ton more than the white. The contrast just seems so wild. Not even mud on the plastic gray fender flares.

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics!! I want to check it out!

Any rock crawling?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bdog said:
You went through all that and not a spot of mud on the white paint? I read the slow and steady response you made, but if the instructure wasn't there, I would have had my wipers on hitting that mud hole. Nice pics!

Like this? :)
Cajon-2-400.gif

Echoes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What better way to treat a white rover;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99