Grinding noise @ takeoff??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

taborj

I am getting a grinding/growling noise coming out of a stop. Goes away at approx 15-20 mph. Any thoughts???

L

LandyLight

Tab is it coming fromthe rear of vehicle if so it could be hte start of rear your calipers starting to stick.
OR are you sure your transfer case selector is in proper place could have slipped out or just catching the gear?????
JUST some thoughts
What year and make :albertein

outdoorfever

Reaction score
also check your tires? could it be coming from the front? check those tires, i just replaced my front tires due to terrible wear and the annoying vibration was being caused at 12-18 miles an hour. put on new tires and it is like driving a new vehicle.

what about when slowing down as well? makes the same noise? can you feel the vibration in the brake pedal?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Click here.
We need to know the basics before we can even start to offer help or suggestions.

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front is big. Is it coming like from underhood or from suspension/driveline/wheels area? Is it happens while idling in P or only when moving?

First general guess - dry swivel balls or dry differential, or dry u-joints on front shaft, or dry front output seal on t-case. Or alternator going out, or waterpump gone out, or tensioner pulley going there, or metal exhaust heatshield on passenger side gone loose...

Too many variables :) Help us to narrow it down in attempt to help you :)

outdoorfever

Reaction score
I think he only said between 15-20 mph..but we still need more information.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
outdoorfever said:
I think he only said between 15-20 mph..but we still need more information.

Kyle, he said it goes away at 15-20... :)

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Tab! My low-speed grinding noise occured after I trashed my 2nd Rotoflex about 6 weeks after I installed it. I really didn't think that such a small hill could put such stress on that coupling. As my then 9 year old son and I were looking under the Rover, him checking the rear end while I was checking the front (where I was SURE the noise was coming from) he said "Daddy, your rear driveshaft yokes have been hitting the rotoflex bolts" I told him "Not possible, that coupling is only 6 weeks old" I told him that it HAD to be something else! He kept looking and found nothing more, as I on the front also found nothing. He said "Daddy, you really need to see this" So as I crawled back there to explain to him that when the coupling is bad, you WILL see strings coming out of it, he showed me that, yes the yokes had been hitting the flex coupling bolts, and that even though the coupling was new, it had tore its mountings on that little hill we had climbed right before the low speed vibration began. This may not be the problem on your Rover, but it's worth looking into. LRW.

T

taborj

Sorry for not enough info. It is a 99 Discovery II. The grinding noise feels like it is coming more from underneath the gear shift toward the front a bit. Starts grinding at takeoff and goes away at approx 15-20 mph. Transmission seems to be shifting smoothly, that is what I thought it was at first and may still be. Father thinks it may be some kind of bearing in the drivetrain. Seems like it is grinding trying to get the wheels to turn at takeoff. It is not really a vibration but you can feel the grindind at your feet. You can hear it more than feel it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM