Grinding noise @ takeoff??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

discomike

Tab,
have you ever changed the double cardon joints on your front drive shaft?
Mike J.

T

taborj

If they don't do it during my 60,000 mile service then no I haven't. You think that may be what it is?

D

discomike

Tab,
These are the weak point on our 99 D2's, they have no grease fittings and tend to get noisey before they blow and break your t/case ot transmisson.
Don't mess with this one, have someone check and most likely replace them before the worst happens.
Mike J.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D2, correct? My son says D2's don't have rotoflex. No need to check that. LRW.

D

discomike

Your son is wrong, my 99 D2 has a factory roto flex. This has nothing to do with the front drive shaft though.
Tab get it checked quickly.
Mike J.

outdoorfever

Reaction score
Sergei said:
Kyle, he said it goes away at 15-20... :)

ya stinker, you got me! haha your right.

Any ideas anyone? internet problems are always fun :argh:

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone educate me. Does double cardon = u-joint? heh If it does, I don't think I heard of them called double cardon before owning a land rover.

I've seen some aftermarket front driveshafts for Discos with double u-joints on the t-case side I think, for Discos with bigger lifts. If you need double u-joints on one end of the driveshaft, wouldn't it make sense to decrease the torque angle on both ends of the driveshaft? The same amount of torque is being applied to the axle side of the driveshaft. More education needed...

C

campbell

The double carden end is the transfer case side of the driveshaft. Two u-joints with a centering knuckle in between.
I have been battling something similar to this for the past 3-4 months. Take the front driveshaft out (4 bolts on each end), lock the differential (10mm open-end wrench to turn bolt on top of T-case), and drive it. See if the noise goes away. I agree with Mike 100% here. It is more than likely the u-joints in the front driveshaft. When you remove it take it to a driveline shop that has experience with Rovers, if possible. Just have them replace the u-joints with serviceable u-joints. Probably cost around $75 or less. Money well spent if it is indeed the driveshaft. If not, you caught it early and had it corrected.
Could the grinding be a pinion bearing gone bad?

T

taborj

When you say lock the differential, is this just a bolt on top of the axle that needs to be turned 1/4, 1/2 and it will lock? Where is it located on the axle (right side, left side, center)? This has been a big help. I am going to look at the driveshaft over the weekend. My dad seemed to think it was some kind of bad bearing as well so that may be the case. I just wanted to try to fix it myself and learn before taking it into someone.

outdoorfever

Reaction score
Dont quote me on this but I think its on the passenger side of the vehicle somewhere near the cross member/t case?? its a little ****** surrounded by 4 other bolts I believe. Let someone else back me up on this one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM