Grinding noise @ takeoff??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
This reminds me of the "high idle post" .....I will stop there .. I have more to say but better keep the old mouth shut.

Tab it sounds like you *could* have a problem. Probably should have Dad help you or someone else or @ the very least buy a workshop manual or TAKE IT TO A REPAIR shop that deals with Land Rovers. It is hard to work under the Rover and it is very heavy as well. Be safe and Please Be careful ..If I were you have it towed or find a mechanic that can help.

Melissa
1998 D1
2000 Honda Civic
FWIW: "I just wanted to try to fix it myself and learn before taking it into someone." I wanted to do the same thing with my Rover Tab...However re-mapping an ECU with RovaCom was not something that I could do myself. Go to the shop and watch when they fix it..That way next time you will have a grasp on it . :)

Last edited:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finding out if it's the front driveshaft's double-cardon would eliminate bearings as a cause, Tab.

If locking the center diff and driving without the front driveshaft on results in no noise, you know it's not a bearing (because there are no bearings on the driveshaft itself). And that fix (as described above) is a lot cheaper and simpler than swapping out a transfercase or transmission.

I would stop well short of doing it yourself if you are the least bit uncomfortable with the work. Melissa's right -- those are heavy parts and you should almost definitely have someone help, preferably someone who knows there way around a 4x4 transmission (if not Rover transmissions).

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy he drives 99 D2... Apparently with no CDL, since he doesnt know what it means :) So driving with locked CDL isnt an option.

Melissa - dont keep it shut, since thats how causes getting found - by pouring theories in huge bowl and picking out of it one by one..

Tab - you got CDL ****** but no linkage in 99 D2. To lock it you got to crawl under and do it with pliers - Mike can explain how :) Anyway - just put truck on stands and crank it up and crawl under it. You should be able to locate noise source pretty easy.
Most likely - its dry u-joint on t-case side of shaft. Driving it for prolonged period may result in serious damage as shaft will break free and will try to take out transmission and surroundings.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought all 99 D2's had the CDL lever in the cab?

Tab, if you can get the center diff locked following Sergei's instructions, you'll be able to pull the front driveshaft and drive in rear-wheel drive. Without the center diff locked you won't be able to get the truck going with a missing driveshaft.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - i am not sure. Never had one, but i think it was one of main changes that they removed it to protect the innocent :) Have a good weekend too!

C

campbell

99 D2's have CDL but no shifter in cab.

Tab email at [email protected] with a phone number and I can tell you how to lock the CDL over the phone. I think I also have a picture somewhere of the D2 transmission that shows the CDL "bolt" that needs to be turned. I will look and email it to you.
Taking the driveshaft out is not hard. It is however kinda heavy and there is a possibility of it falling on your hand or head. :help: I smashed my thumb between it and the transfer case, not fun. But nontheless it is not difficult. One thing that I don't think was mentioned yet is I would mark the driveshaft and flange with a white paint marker. You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot. This will ensure that you get it put back in properly.
If you don't feel comfortable doing something like this I would heed the advice above and take it somewhere that knows Land Rovers. This was not an option in my area so I did it myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM