Guess what I found in my oil pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What in the world is this? I dropped the pan due to poor oil pressure upon startup. Found the pickup tube loose. So, while it was down and out, I cleaned out the pan. What a mess. And in the bottom was this metal sleeve that almost looks like some sort of dowel pin. Its about 1/4 in tall and 1/4 in in diameter. I cant figure out what this is. Any ideas? Surely this isnt a valve guide. Im not having any valve train trouble. Picture is real good, but hopefully someone will be able to ID it.

Attachments

• 0409100005.JPG
    0409100005.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 207
D

discomike

John,
When you do find out, let us know, I am curious.
Mike J.

M

montanablur

Looks like the elusive dual carb muffler belt that connects the system to the flux capacitors triple weight ball bearings.

Just a guess...

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
little ring?

Ares, thats a crush spacer for the valve cover gasket, it limits the crush of the rubber by bottoming out. Safety wire the oil pick up bolts, you'll be good to go. Carl........................................o&o>.....................................

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Beemer. Montanablur, I was thinking it was that too. Actually, my first guess was a muffler bearing, but then I reasoned it down to the check valve in my turn signal fluid resevoir. Now, if I can figure a way to tell if its a crush spacer or a monkeys wedding ring... no wait that is a monkey with a wedding ring holding a ring from a eastern australian diamond back snipe. Hence the non opposing hypothenar thumb. Thanks for narrowing it down a bit.

Thanks Beemer!

T

Tunerworks

That looks like a dowel from the Valve cover Gasket!

I remember when I was changing the valve cover gasket there were four of those exact dowels in each side!

But again, it's only a picture and hard to tell what it really is...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless John here got freakishly small hands - they cant be washers from valve gaskets. Too tall & big. Plus not all gaskets had them in stock form. Mine for example - didnt.

Picture is pretty distorted :( It can be olive from somewhere.. But if truck runs ok - who cares.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the picture sucks. I couldnt get my digital camera to focus that close. Hopefully, once I get a new pickup tube I can see if it still runs ok. Just wanted to see if anyone knew what this might be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72