HDC Fault, NAV Memory and Battery Lifespan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting about three months ago, my '05 HSE with 56,000 miles began some erratic behavior on start up. At first, the NAV system would shut down when the key was turned to the start position. Not long after, the NAV system would reset to default settings after start up, and now I get an occasional "HDC System not available" warning on start up. These errors are most likely (only???) to occur when the vehicle is started the first time after sitting for a day or two or more.

My first thought is the battery is getting old and when the key is turned the voltage drops below some threshold level that results in the NAV system shutting down and the HDC system not having enough voltage to perform its self check. The battery indicator light is a sold green and the engine turns over and starts promptly. It's a minor annoyance resetting the NAV system each time but it's not worth the cost of a new battery. I saw in another post that someone had similar problems when they took their vehicle into really cold weather.

My questions: Is an aging battery the likely cause of the NAV and HDC faults? How long have LR3 batteries been lasting? I'm going on 40 months on the original. If the battery is the problem, how long do I have before I'll need a jump?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 se no nav, just over 50k; replaced battery last year nov 07, 20k miles ago.
I had HDC Faults

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KW,

I had similar issues, although I do not have factory NAV.

I first noticed the problem when the weather here in Arkansas turned cold, which I doubt that one had to do with the other. However, the problems manifested on the first start of the day or if the temp was 32f or below. If I let the truck sit and warmup for about 10 min, then everything worked fine.

Here is what I had;
- Power Windows/ Door Locks worked once warmed-up
- Auto Headlights, Rain Sensing WS inop
- Sunroof inop
- Rear WS Wiper inop
- Cruise Control message = "System not Available" worked once warmed-up
- Button on wheel inop
- HDC Fault message = "System not Available" qorked once warmed-up

The dealer kept my truck for over 25 days while trouble shooting and waiting for various parts to arrive. The final verdict was that main ECU had shorted and was causing all the intermittent problems. Through their trouble shooting they also found several bad wire bundles. So after replacing wire bundles and the ECU, my truck returned to normal. All this happend @ 40k.

I later spoke with the service manager who said that he has had several 05 (mine has an Oct 04 build date) LR3 come in problems that later turn out to be wiring problems.

I don't know if your problem is battery related or something else, but it's worth having it looked at. My HDC fault still comes back every now-and-then but when I take it in to have it tested, I always get a "can not duplicate" message on my receipt.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had exact symptoms. Dealer claimed battery was fine. I convinced them to replace the battery under warranty, no issues since. HDC issue and NAV issues are documented low battery symptoms.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday there was the first hesitation on the engine turning over... Time to buy the battery (an Interstate model ???? $152.00). The change was immediate. The NAV screen now stays lit while the engine cranks and I don't need to hit the "AGREE" button again. It remembers my home zone and there are no HDC NOT AVAILABLE faults. Now that I think about it, it's been over a year since the NAV screen stayed on during engine cranking. Also, and maybe this is all in my head, it seems to have better "drive-ability" during warm-up. Shifts are smoother and the engine idles more smoothly and I can hear and feel that the alternator is not loaded as long.

The verdict is you'll be lucky to get three years out of the original battery and could likely have otherwise unexplained faults due to a weak battery as early as 24 months.

At over 58,000 miles, I've replaced five tires (upsized and a spare), self installed new brakes, changed the battery myself, replaced all the wipers and have done one out of service oil change. I get about 18 mpg on the highway and almost 14 in town. I've spent less than $2500 on repairs and maintenance. I didn't have any failures under warranty. I couldn't be more pleased with the reliability and operating costs of this truck!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At over 58,000 miles, I've replaced five tires (upsized and a spare), self installed new brakes, changed the battery myself, replaced all the wipers and have done one out of service oil change. I get about 18 mpg on the highway and almost 14 in town. I've spent less than $2500 on repairs and maintenance. I didn't have any failures under warranty. I couldn't be more pleased with the reliability and operating costs of this truck!

That's awesome, but take a good look at your rotors. At 58,000 miles on the origional set (?), might be high time to replace those.

JNRRangie

Reaction score
Problems With Command Screen & HDC System Fault

I have recently purchased a RR Sport TDV6 HSE registered Jan 06 done just 27k miles.

I have a problem with the command system which occurs first thing in the morning or if the car has been stood all day.

Starts with stereo cutting out several times before which there is a crack and the Command Screen goes black, it then returns to Land Rover and then to Screen Options, for the next mile or so it then appears as though someone is touching the command screen as one of the buttons highlights a number of times, I also get the orange warning light which suggests the brake pads are low.

After a few miles it seems to settle down. also get the HDC System unavailable message every time I start the car.

Reading some of the threads looks like this could be battery related, though there are some other threads which suggest it could be something much worse.

Anyone have any suggestions ?, as car is out of warranty the suppling dealer supplyed a 12 month car plan warranty which excludes more than it includes, they had it back for a week last week and it is not better.

They have offered to buy the car back, albeit at a loss to me of £1k.

If it is just going to be a new battery then great as the car has an MASSIVE spec., if it's going to be ECU and Wiring looms they are not covered in the warranty and would cost me a fortune.

Anyone seen similar ?

I have check with the dealer who has serviced the car from new and they say they have nothing on record, last owner says he had noticed the problem (Funny he sold it the month the warranty ran out)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggestion is to get a new battery.

JNRRangie

Reaction score
Have considered the Battery though issues don't seem to be impacting the Sat Nav memory

phurley

Reaction score
The HDC fault on startup is diagnostic of a dead battery or poor battery connections.
After you replace the battery, see if the HLDF issues continue - my guess is they will be gone. But if not, they may be due to poor earth connections.

BTW, you may receive better advice at rrsport.co.uk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM