HDC Fault, NAV Memory and Battery Lifespan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I mentioned this elsewhere on this website, but I had similar problems to what I see in this thread and the replacement (Interstate) battery only temporarily helped. Turned out it was a "diode fault" in the alternator. One new alternator and $700 later, everything seems fine. [I have an '05 SE7 with 65,000 miles]

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went in for service the other day and below is what happend. I would like to know more about this "diode fault"

Still have NAV and HDC Faults.

I asked to have the battery replaced, because it died and I had to jump it. Additionally, Nav resets and HDC fault appears upon turning the ignition. both systems draw a high current on ignition, and the faults are symptoms of a low battery. The Service dept did do a load test, and after driving 70 miles to the dealership for service, I would expect the battery to appear to have proper load values. What the load test didn't display, is when you start it after 3 days or even over night. That is when the fault occurs.

What I wanted was a new battery. Not a long winded explanation about how they have to justify a dead battery to Land Rover. Taking care of yourself before the customer, that is not customer service.

More over, I found out that there is a NEWER NAV dvd w/ updated content and features I would have gladly paid extra to have that update. So what I stress here is I expect that if there is a Fix for anything related to LR3, it is applied so that I can eliminate future problems and I am just visiting for service.

Fixed the lurching from the transmission after a SW update. Which I like very much. Was given a loaner for 6hours w/ no questions asked, I even refilled it after using it, and have the receipt to prove it. I was able to purchase a trailer electrics kit. Dealing w/ the service rep was not confrontational, but he dodged "So now my battery won't die?" question w/ something like I have to do a test that makes a print out of what's wrong w/ the battery, then send it to Land Rover in order for me to justify replacing the battery.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer also did not want to give me a new battery. He said it passed the load test. I was having hdc faults and nav issues. I told him he could either replace the battery which will cure the issues or I'll schedule appt. after appt. to solve the problem - which is due to a low battery. He agreed and the new battery solved my issues.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have your batteries lasted? If we're talking one year then it's reasonable to ask for the dealer to replace it. Mine is bad too...but I am going to buy my own. I've had it for almost 4 years.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 so it lasted about 4 years. Dealer gave me a new battery prior to warranty expiration.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do apologize that the advisor seemed to dodge your question about the battery. We unfortunately have no way of ever determining how long a battery can last. Batteries are tricky in a way that a battery can be good one day and then have a bad cell the next day. So, we don't like to tell anyone that a battery will not fail. Land Rover is very strict when it comes to replacing a battery under warranty. We have what is called a MidTronics test that is run on the whole charging system. In order for Land Rover to pay for your battery, the test has to show the battery is bad and to replace it. There is a slip we print out when it does test bad for our proof to Land Rover. Without that slip, Land Rover North America denies payment to us.
-LR CARY

This the answer I got.

Now, the NAV issues is when turn the key ignition, the NAV goes from "LAND ROVER" to OFF to reboot like statis, then to LAND ROVER then to the annoying SAFETY MSG.

At the SAME time the screen shows "HDC FAULT - UNAVAILBE"

I'll try and record it..

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do apologize that the advisor seemed to dodge your question about the battery. We unfortunately have no way of ever determining how long a battery can last. Batteries are tricky in a way that a battery can be good one day and then have a bad cell the next day. So, we don't like to tell anyone that a battery will not fail. Land Rover is very strict when it comes to replacing a battery under warranty. We have what is called a MidTronics test that is run on the whole charging system. In order for Land Rover to pay for your battery, the test has to show the battery is bad and to replace it. There is a slip we print out when it does test bad for our proof to Land Rover. Without that slip, Land Rover North America denies payment to us.
-LR CARY

This the answer I got.

Now, the NAV issues is when turn the key ignition, the NAV goes from "LAND ROVER" to OFF to reboot like statsis, then to LAND ROVER then to the annoying SAFETY MSG.

At the SAME time the dash screen shows "HDC FAULT - UNAVAILABLE"

I'll try and record it..

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then I have "NAV Issues" too.

I guess neither are really issues, they are just symptoms of a nearly dead battery. I got almost 4 years out of mine; if you guys did too then I don't see much of a grip with LR or the battery. It's time to replace it...

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 2.5 years (40k miles) on mine and anytime the temperature is below freezing and the truck is left outside I get the HDC fault. It generally goes away on the next restart once the truck is warmed up, and I noted that HDC does become active after a few minutes of driving. I'm not too concerned about it - I'll probably just swap out the battery some time this summer... (or before my next big trip).

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635