HDC Fault, NAV Memory and Battery Lifespan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth the LR3 sat for 48hrs and the battery was dead this AM. :-(

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership replaced the battery in our 2005 HSE one month prior to warranty expiration. Looks like 4 years is a consistent lifespan.

The vehicle was not showing any symptoms (Navi behavior, HDC faults, etc), and I did not report any problem. The dealership took the initiative to replace it, after they felt it was "cranking slow" at startup during the last service visit. They did perform the test to confirm eligibility for replacement.

dvansh

Reaction score
HDC Fault - Maybe Battery,

Hello All,

First time post, long time reader!

I purchased a 2005 LR3 SE V8 a few months back, black on black and love it.

Just started to receive the HDC System not available message that this thread is discussing. I looked at the battery and it has a indicator that is currently green, which I think means it is still good.

From all your group experience, should I still change the battery? I believe it is the original battery.

Thank you
dvansh

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With an '05, I would be pretty tempted to switch it out. If the HDC fault becomes fairly consistent (more so with colder weather), it's often just a failing battery. For better or worse the LR3 is pretty sensitive to the battery's condition...

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealership replaced the battery in our 2005 HSE one month prior to warranty expiration. Looks like 4 years is a consistent lifespan.

The vehicle was not showing any symptoms (Navi behavior, HDC faults, etc), and I did not report any problem. The dealership took the initiative to replace it, after they felt it was "cranking slow" at startup during the last service visit. They did perform the test to confirm eligibility for replacement.

I had the same experience when I took my '07 w/ 25,000 miles if for a persistent "check Engine" light. Light problem was related to thermostat, they said. They did not tell me that they had replaces the battery. I noticed it n the RO and asked. They shrugged and said that batteries dont last very long id LR3's. Replacement is an Interstate that looks the same size, etc.

ChuckD

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I wonder how long the Interstate replacements are going to last? I just did mine last year too.

Eric Li

Reaction score
It's Probably the Battery

I just had similar isssue with "HDC fault system unavailable" and "Transmission fault traction reduced" errors coming up and my '06 Range Rover Sport not starting (though I had no battery warning). It was a holiday weekend so no Land Rover service departments open for 3 days so took a chance and bought a new [Interstate HV-5, I think] battery and replaced myself because I had 50k miles and couldn't remember ever replacing it. Everything working perfectly now.

Apparenetky, this is common, so I'm a bit upset with Land Rover for not giving battery low warning. Thanks to everyone posting help on this board...

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get about 15-18 months out of a battery. I'm on my 4th in 5 years now...all those electronics, especially those with electric coolers, draw a lot of current all of the time.

ramzi nassar

Reaction score
HDC fault system and Transmission Fault

I am getting an HDC fault system and a Transmission fault. My LR3 shifts had sometimes from 2nd to 3rd gear and sometimes gets stuck in 4th until I turn it off and restart. If I use Cruise Control....no issues arise. Any one facing similar issues?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635