Headers and a Chip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

discomike

Hey guys, I want to make some more torque and horse power, looking at going to a chip, 18H.P., and headers. Have any of you run headers, if so what were the results and where did you get them??
I thinking I want another 30 plus horse power and 15 to 20 foot pounds of torque and from what I know this would be the least expensive way to make it happen.
Got any ideas??
Mike J.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, I am running headers on my '97 D1, I ordered them from Jet Hot because the coat them inside and out and warrenty them for life. They are basically headman headers though, I don't have the part numbers off the top of my head (out of town this week). I can tell you that with the headers and a flowmaster muffler you can feel the difference in the way the Disco runs.

The headers were originally made for the RRC Left hand Drive, but with some mods you can make them fit. You can see a couple of the pic in my gallery. I have more, but not with me (on a friends computer right now).

It took about 7 hours total to install at a friends garage (a muffler shop) because you have to remove the starter to install the passenger side...easy. Then the driver side was fun :help: I can say that after doing it once they said they would not do it again.

I plan on rechipping the ECU shortly after I get back from my week of fun and excitement (pretending to be on vacation).

If you have any questions, feel free to email me or post, and I will try to answer or get back to you as soon as I can. I would offer my Cell number, but I will be in and out of cell range (mostly out) for the next week.

Hope the little info above helps.

D

discomike

Thanks Joey,
I would like to get back to you after you get back and settled.
Mike J.

W

w00ht

Mike,

I have no land rover experience but have spent a great deal of time wrenching on mustangs and other "toys" as well as reading most everything I can about performance automotive whatever (cars, 4x's etc).

Defiantly go with the coated headers. In a recent magazine article the difference in coated vs painted steel was huge when shot with a temp gun. If I remember it correctly the outside header temp was like 250 something while the painted steel was around 4-450 (on a well built 302 or 351) The jet hot coated headers also produced better scavenging due to the heat not escaping. Coated headers are not cheap but well worth it IMHO.

As for chips, Does Diablosport make anything for LR's? They make some pretty wicked mustang and diesel chips. They have one which is called a delta chip which can store multiple programs. I used to know a guy with one in his mustang that had two programs with a small switch that was installed next his nitrous controls. One program for around town and one for the giggle gas at the strip. I know the delta chip also is made for trucks with performance, towing and stock programs as well. And everyone hates computers, try being able to tune an engine on the fly with floats and jets hah!

Seriously, Hope this helps

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, I am back from my working vacation. Any ways, while gone I replaced the front O2 sensors on my Disco and gave my self an extra 2 miles per gallon at least...havent refilled yet, but just by looking at the gauge I would say that. Driving up pulling over 2k (trailer and load) I burned 1/2 tank of gas. Driving back same load and same distance I burned just barely over 1/4 tank of gas.

Of course people still look at me funny when you start up a LandRover and it sounds like it has something a lot larger under the hood. :biggrin:

D

discomike

Joey,
I know O2 sensors will get you back up some, I have 62,000 miles on my truck and will be looking ar them soon.
Thanks
Mike J.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Not too hi jack this thread, but what is everyone doing for O2 sensors? The cut and splice method or factory LR sensors?

Justin

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did i - i am not fun of soldering anything in that area - there is extreme amount of heat going around... and dirt ;)

So i went with plug-n-play. But then i needed only 2...

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I agree with Joey ... Go with Nathan Crabtree. Cutting and splicing is not fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM