Help a newbie...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obdoc

Reaction score
Got my 2012 LR4 HSE recently and absolutely love it. I have kids and will be frequently using all 3 rows. I decided to get a set of Rubber mats from the dealer here in town (bought my LR4 out of town due to stock/price issues) and got both the 1/2 row and the 3rd row. First row matches up perfectly with hooks in the floor. What do I do with the second row? I get that there are the hooks included, but how do I get the regular floor hooks out of the second row? Should I just throw the mats on top and ignore the install?

I know this may seem stupid, and is much less technical than most of the posts on here, but we all start somewhere. I anticipate a long relationship with this car and want to treat it right.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The existing hooks are just screwed into the carpet. Pry up on them a little while unscrewing them, and they should come right out.

Murphy

Reaction score
Just called my LR dealership after reading this. Turns out the hooks come with the mats you purchased. But mine were not installed either. The dealer simply chucked the mats onto the floor. I just called and they said they don't install the hooks because "most people" don't like them perforating a small hole through the existing mat to screw the hook through. my point is.... at least give me the option to make my own choice. Sheesh. I'm not "most people". I'm definitely not a typical LR owner.

So the dealer has "a bunch" of hooks laying around and said I could drive by and pick some up to install the mats properly. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Murphy

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the hooks installed for the front mats only. I find it is much easier to remove the mats when your cleaning without the hooks. Without the hooks the mats don't move at all. I did front bc it is a safety issue. I don't want the mat to shift and get stuck under the accelerator or break.

obdoc

Reaction score
Thanks rainmn. So I left the hooks from the carpet mats in the front row and they line up great with the new mats. I took your advice and was able to get all the hooks in the second row out intact. My dealer did give me the fastener hooks for the second row, but I am going to hold off installing them for now. When winter comes and ski season starts I may rethink that, but for now they don't seem to really move. I just have to snap in that damn groove now...

Murphy

Reaction score
Wait a minute Doc... the Groove snaps together??? The things you learn here! lol
Let me know if your successful and I'll give it a go too.
Murphy

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will recommend to use the hooks specially for the third row. My kids love kicking the mats around and you will be surprised how many times the can get caught under the second row seats "hook" sftaer they exit the third row. And the mats do snap but it can be a pain to get them tight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9