Help! Major Coolant Loss and Overheating!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi... I have a 99 Disco II, 115,000mi and have been experiencing major coolant loss which leads to overheating. I go through a full tank of coolant now about every 2-3 days. Could just be me being paranoid, but it seems like I go through it faster if I do not have the air on.
I know there is a coolant leak, but I can not see where it is coming from.
Since this summer I have replaced the water pump, head gaskets, thermostat, lower radiator hose, battery, and alternator. I'm at my wits end. I love my Disco but I need reliability. Any help would be appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a head gasket or valley pan gasket, but without seeing the engine it is hard to say.

But I will say with losing that much antifreeze please do your self a favor and stop driving it till you get if fixed, unless you have lots of money to do a rebuild or engine replacement.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the mechanic pressure test the coolant system, that will make it show up.
For others reading this thread, never drive your Rover when it is consuming coolant like this, all it takes is a couple over heats and you could be buying a new engine.

Dick61

Reaction score
Check that your overflow tank is alright, mine had a split seam which caused coolant loss at a high rate, luckily my Disco runs on LPG and has a coolant fed converter which would freeze up before the engine overheated.

Reaction score
Have the mechanic pressure test the coolant system, that will make it show up.
For others reading this thread, never drive your Rover when it is consuming coolant like this, all it takes is a couple over heats and you could be buying a new engine.

Thanks Disco Mike. I am going to have a pressure test done tomorrow. I will post the results afterwards.

Check that your overflow tank is alright, mine had a split seam which caused coolant loss at a high rate, luckily my Disco runs on LPG and has a coolant fed converter which would freeze up before the engine overheated.

Dick61... When your tank had a split seam, was there an obvious leak on the tank? I am not sure where my leak is coming from at this point, I just know that there is one. I will look into this though. BTW, what is LPG?

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Disco Mike. I am going to have a pressure test done tomorrow. I will post the results afterwards.

Dick61... When your tank had a split seam, was there an obvious leak on the tank? I am not sure where my leak is coming from at this point, I just know that there is one. I will look into this though. BTW, what is LPG?

I believe LR did a mod/improvement to the coolant tanks - the earlier ones, which were more prone to coming apart at the seams were black and the improved version(s) are clear. If you had a pin-hole leak in a pressure hose - you could lose a fair amount of coolant but I am not certain you would be needing to fill that resevoir tank every couple of days (that would depend a lot on your climate and driving conditions [i.e., hi-altitude, hot during the day, up and down hill - towing - i.e., such as living in Alberquerque, NM]).

Normally - you would look at the head gasket but you had yours redone; another normal culprit would be water pump but, again, you went after that issue. A rad leak or pin-hole in a pressure hose should give you a very strong smell of anti-freeze in your cabin - especially when the engine is warmed up.

Anyway, pressure testing is the correct route to go - let us all know what it turns out to be.

Wolf

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The up-graded coolant bottle from Rover is a white tank to replace the black one for a D1. D2's have not had that issue.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an added note, even the white ones on the D1 will split... ask me how I know... Had one spring a leak while off roading a couple months back.

Dick61

Reaction score
When my overflow tank split there was some coolant dripping from under the front of the car, but the only visible evidence on the tank itself was a crusting of dried coolant when it cooled. The bracket and inner fender obscured the side of the tank enough to stop a visual check showing the leak which only occurred when the system got hot and the cooling system increased in pressure. LPG is Liquid Petroleum Gas and is usually Propane or a Propane/Butane mix. Basically the same as BBQ gas in a cylinder.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink