Help! Major Coolant Loss and Overheating!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dick61

Reaction score
Just a note, my White coolant tank split and the replacement from Rover was a Black one

Cheers

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Makes me wonder about my new improved gas tank that I had installed on a recall - as apparently the old ones were coming apart at the seams too! Fortunately, they didn't make the new and improved one white/clear (LoL).

Reaction score
Hi everyone...
I had the pressure test done and no problems were found. I was told it lost no pressure at all. Also, I forgot to mention, about a month ago I had a new crank sensor put on. The shop put my Disco on the computer and they detected no other problems. So, I'm kind of at a loss right now as to the source of the problem. The is no smoke coming out of the tail pipe which is a good sign. Now, I did notice a line with a little dried coolant on it. It appears to be a coolant line. It runs vertically under a yellow cap (radiator cap?). I took a picture of its location. Are we able to post pics on the thread? I appreciate everyone's help so far.

Reaction score
Here's the pic of the hose I'm referring to (don't know the actual name)

Attachments

• img057.jpg
    img057.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 47

Dick61

Reaction score
Do not put water in that yellow cap!!!!
That is a breather for your engine block and there should be another matching hole with an orange cap on it where your oil goes in on the lhs (drivers side?) rocker cover.
If your system pressure tested OK the next thin I would do would be to drive around and get it GOOD and HOT then leave it idling and try to move all the hoses to see if they are letting go under extreme conditions. My heater hoses keep splitting at the point where the worm clamps tighten, the test ok when cold but start to spurt when hot. These are the two smaller hoses that go back to the firewall/bulkhead from just behind the yellow cap breather. I should change them but I'm too lazy. Oh BTW DiscoMike was correct the replacement surge tank IS white, that will teach me to shoot off my mouth without checking. I also attached a picture of my LPG induction

Cheers

Attachments

• 212-09-2009 001.jpg
    212-09-2009 001.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 212-09-2009 004.jpg
    212-09-2009 004.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 212-09-2009 003.jpg
    212-09-2009 003.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 42

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are leaking fluids, I would suggest changing all the hoses, which should be done every few years anyways. Make sure you replace all the clamps with aftermarket screw type clamps...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, the yellow cap is not a breather cap, that is your oil fill cap.

As for the coolant pressure test that didn't show anything, how long did they leave pressure on the coolant system, needs to be for 15 minutes or more.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It still sounds like a pin-hole leak to me - or at the clamps. Joey has the best advice - replace those hoses - its time!

Wolf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink