Hey LR are you listening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ($40K USD starting) Grand Cherokee SRT8 does 0-60 in ~5.2 seconds and is quite a bit faster than the ($70K starting) SCRRS @ ~7 seconds. So, off-road excluded, it'll easily "take" SCRRS. (Our girly non-Supercharged LR3/RRS vehicles are about 2 seconds slower than that.)

The new 2006 Cayenne Turbo S, released yesterday, does 0-60 in ~4.8 seconds. ($111K starting.)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SChargedRRS

OK I will come back to the thread. It is actually quite fun...HaHa. I like forums as thay can be powerful tools for acquiring information.

This is all in good fun. I read thread after thread about Ford vs Dodge Vs Chevy debates for weeks when the debate started over Diesel power. Good Grief!!! Then(Like here) I chimed in to join the discussions and it was kind of like swatting a hornets nest. I became new prey to rip on. And once again I said something that people felt was inaccurate in here and I swatted the nest again. Although I am not fond of them at all, Hummers are quite good wheelers. Sadly...My brother owns a Hummer business and has a H1, H2 and just ordered the Alpha. I have been on quite a few treks. It is amazing the "Hate" between Jeep and Hummer folks. Amazing how a car preference and belief can spur so much anger. I stopped going because of the "Crowd" that owned Hummers. Now Jeeps (Cj's and YJ's) are just flat fun and cheap. but you have no creature comforts on the old ones. They are a true miserable wheeler from that aspect but fun when you plow them under in a river or stream. Mine has not been back out since it went under water(yes I have a 77 CJ5 beater that leaks oil, breaks a alot and all that.Actually tired of messing with it.)

Anyway, Not looking to have the fastest, The best, The most off road power or capability, quite frankly as I said, I just like the looks of it. RRSCSports are a nice vehicle if it turns out to be reliable. It is only a car. I can say the automatic rise really is annoying to me, I would like to drive it around lower. looks better. Wife loves it.....and its gotta be this way since it is her ride.

Carry On.......

A

Amir

SuperCharged, despite the fact that all of us who are here, not surprisingly love our LR3's and will advocate for it in anyway possible because, well, it is an LR3 forum after all, but their responses to your comments about LR3, in all honesty, seem very justified. Their responses are not based on simply their liking of the truck in general. To every comment you have made there is a genuine and rational response along with facts like the Truck Trend's gruiling tests reports, etc., and there is no denying that. I mean, please go ahead and read some of those articles in those trustworthy trade magazines. I would trust those real world tests over any ads that I have seen on TV.

You admit that you got SCRRS because you liked its looks and thats good and more than reason enough for you to buy one. But what you have said otherwise contradicts the facts, thats all I am saying.

Having read all the posts from start to end so far, I sincerely think that no one is trying to rip on you, diss you down or prove you wrong or anything, its just that there are certain facts, like the off road capabilities of LRs in general, them being used in real, and I mean real harsh terrains in various countries around the world (LR being a world brand), and there is no denying that. You might respond by saying that then there are facts about problems with LR3 such as its suspension, etc., but then my response to that is (and I think I speak for all of us here when I say this), as it is said numerous times already, you just cannot take this forum to determine the reliability of the vechicle.

In the end its all about what you like, what you wanna do with your vehicle in terms of priority, and what compromise are you willing to make to enjoy your vehicle in a wide range of scenarios. And thats where we all part ways.

One more thing which I think should be mentioned here is, LR's philosophy in general has never been to please everyone. They design/make their products that appeal to only certain kind of audience which by no means is representative of a majority.

S

SChargedRRS

PbRover,
Hey that a nice article and no those sales guys gave me nothing like that(not that was in the salesmens office looking for an off road vehicle). I do realize where I made my mistake in my comment about new LR's or RR's off road worthiness. This is about one's interpretation and definition of "Off Roading". I apologize to all in this thread. See with me going on Rubicon and Fordyce trail excursions. These usually entail going through deep water, climbing over logs and rocks, usually require winching and guarantee you will scratch the paint or damage a body part.

After looking at the threads people sent me to confirm the off road capabilities of the LR, I see the term is very loose. The article that PBrover sent is not what I would have considered off-roading when in fact it is...Just a different level. To us Jeep guys this is a trail type road not technical but exhilirating nonetheless. So I was sitting here thinking how can these guys say their LR3's or RR's are legitimate off-roader's? Now I understand.

Now...On a hardware note, I was looking the tires on the RRS today. I can comfortably say I would never ever feel comfortable going anywhere off road with them. As a volunteer Fireman that patrols up in snow, I have reasonable doubts about them even passing for snow tires(Even though they are rated as a Sport All-terrain tire). Lets just say if I was sitting at the chain checkpoint I know my Sheriff friends would not let it fly. We run into this all the time with folks buying all wheel drive vehicles and they come with tires not for AT. But because they think they have an "All Wheel" drive they come blast up in the snow. We send people home alot as they do not even carry chains feeling they are a cake walk to fly by the checkpoint. I know the LR3's have GDYR rubber as I saw the complaints about them. Get Bridgestone's REVO's

So again, I apologize for my comment. This really boiled down to interpretation of the term "Off Roading". With all this said, I fully believe that the LR and RR can navigate trails, drive over sand, go over some minor obstacles, drive through some water and get you where you plan on going. What I know it will not do well is rock climb, climb up rock faces, clear moderate to major obstacles, cross a river that is 3-4 feet deep(without intake and exhaust modifications) and fit through some really narrow trails without destroying the paint or some body parts.

Is this an OK assessment or am I still in the dog house with you folks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SChargedRRS said:
With all this said, I fully believe that the LR and RR can navigate trails, drive over sand, go over some minor obstacles, drive through some water and get you where you plan on going. What I know it will not do well is rock climb, climb up rock faces, clear moderate to major obstacles, cross a river that is 3-4 feet deep(without intake and exhaust modifications) and fit through some really narrow trails without destroying the paint or some body parts.

Is this an OK assessment or am I still in the dog house with you folks?
You were never in my doghouse :biggrin:

Look at your checklist for an "offroad vehicle," and tell me what vehicle is more capable than a LR right off the factory floor? The only vehicle even close on that list is the Hummer H1, and it's far from able to do narrow trails.

I look forward to seeing what the dream stock vehicle is. I know for a fact the Wrangler ain't it, and I'm guessing the Cruiser isn't either. There isn't a new truck on the planet (non-diesel, since NAS Rovers aren't diesel) that can do 3-4 feet of water without modifications.

Andy

S

SChargedRRS

Yeah...that is a Bummer. They are very good tires. They will hopefully step up soon. I heard they were.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy an LR3, add decent off-road tires (like Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 255/55/19, imported from the UK), add a WARN winch... and you are good to go. Of course, you'll cry when you damage your 19" rims... :)

SChargedRRS, you continue to underestimate the ability of the LR3/Disco 3... and even the RRS. But that's OK.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Grommet.

Traction control? Check
Lockers? Check
Ground clearance? Check
Approach / Departure angle? Check

Tires are the only hangup, and the stock H3 tires aren't world beaters. Maybe the Rubicon's, but Jeep is intent on lengtening the wheelbase and it was never really in the same vehicle class as the Disco/LR3 anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72