high pitch squeal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

What I meant by applying brakes does not change is that the the sound happens while rolling whether the brakes are pressed or not. Also, while rolling, applying the brakes does not make the noise louder or change pitch in any way. When I stop the vehicle the noise stops.

Thanks Uzbad for the info...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is sound there, when you idling in park?
Is it there when you idling at red light or stop sign? (i.e "drive" with brakes applied)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I'd first then check mudshields all around then. And also - it can be one of them weirdo new brake pads with "sound indicator" - i have them stock on me XTerra - there is small metal braket that makes unbearable noise when pad is wearing out.

And if it dissapears when vehicle at stop - then it would be indeed more drivetrain related, as stuff in engine compartment keeps rotating when no movement presented.

C

campbell

Would the brakes make noise when not being applied?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah.. they would... if those are the pads i am talking about they squeal like you riding on herd of pigs...

C

campbell

Sounds sbout right...
I hope that is all it is. I don't want to go thru another driveshaft/u-joint problem.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well driveshaft would whine, roar, rumble but i , personally, doubt that it will squeal.. Mudshields on them flanges (those weirdo rings) can catch some crap or just get loose and start squealing against differential or t-case. And mudshields on wheels may do same..

Or it can be some problem with that t-case flange becoming too dry for some reason and tearing apart (slowly) oil seal (its got some metal inner rings to produce noises with). Also can be bended sway bar pressed against driveshaft..

C

campbell

I haven't done any offroading in a while so I'm hoping it's just brakes. Pinion bearing maybe???

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. That one will rumble/whine in low tembre as well.. Unless its utterly dry of course

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72