Highest mileage LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rovers in general are highly dependent on prior owners taking good care of the vehicle.

When I go to work with coworkers who are decidedly "non car" people - or just "car people" enough to buy a nice car and that's about it - it scares me how little they actually care about their cars. Low tire pressure lights, other random warning lights, etc. They don't care.

I can't live with a warning light. It gnaws at me.

I think that may explain the wild fluctuation in problems people see at certain miles in their Land Rovers. All LR4s are at the age now where there's a good chance they've had an owner who just jiffylubed the oil changes at around 12k miles and lived with the rest.
True. And a scary prospect for prospective buyers of used LR4s.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at around 118,000 after having owned it a year. Bought it at 103,000. Just got the oil changed again today, $200. Also got an estimate to replace all the fluids, $2,000. I work from home so I don't have a commute, but I still seem to find a way to put miles on it. Mostly, it's around town errands or "joy rides". We did take it on a long trip across the state to go camping last summer.

Feel like I'm at a fork in the road. Thinking about doing the major preventative maintenance stuff. But I also have been looking at other vehicles thinking that it might make more sense to get a simple daily driver that can cheaply and easily get me from point A to B while parking the LR4 to keep in reserve for situations that would call for its capacities. I've also been looking at other LR4s and will occasionally come across a pretty nice one that is relatively cheap, under $10,000. If the preventative maintenance costs nearly $10,000 and you add that to the purchase price of the vehicle, $14,000, then you are at $24,000 for a used vehicle you could get for $10,000. Seems like there is something wrong with that math.

Still, my inclination is to stick with the horse I rode in on. Just bite the bullet and pay out the nose. The car and I are building a history together. It's more than just a commodity to me. If it were, I would sell it and get something more practical. Sure, the purchase price was surprisingly reasonable, but the operating costs in gas and oil are ridiculous. The maintenance costs are usury. And the cost for major repairs? Furgidabowdit!

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The $10k LR4 would need the same amount of work you've put into your rig, again, if you're thinking of just swapping rigs each time service is due. If you have the ability to ship things for cheap, places like FCPEuro that let you return used oil make oil changes super cheap (I think my last oil change was $12). We got our LR4 on the cusp of larger maintenance items (diff/transfer case fluids, transmission fluid, cooling system overhaul), and those were expensive, but they are infrequent things, so amortized over the service life it's not so bad to farm some of the stuff out to a shop. My question tends to be "could I get something similar for the cost of trade-in plus whatever I'm about to put into it", and so far keeping it running has been the best answer - there's just not much out there that ticks all the boxes like the LR4 does.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Quijote , If I ever see a Mass. plated LR4 in my haunts, be prepared for a beep.

@ryanjl , too true. Or as @BigBriDogGuy is contemplating; lets just factor in that the previous owner was better suited to own a pos and, we will take on the corrective action.

Therefore, go get that preventative maintenance done;-)

Its nice to be around my own kind!

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a CFO and former engineer I can tell you there is simply no way to make the math work on these things, you have to factor love of the vehicle in or you are screwed.
Agreed. If you want the math to work on a car, you buy a CPO Toyota and drive it until the wheels fall off.

I don't plan on selling my LR4. I’m actually looking for another vehicle to daily drive now (Defender, Rivian, Bronco or something similar) to stop putting a lot of miles on it.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup the math doesn't work. With myself turning the wrenches for most things my $ per mile for upkeep is $0.11/km Canadian or $0.13/mile US. About double that of my Honda.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at $0.26/mi for maintenance, $0.29/mi for gas, $0.13/mi for insurance, and $0.02/mi for registration. So $0.70/mi all up, ignoring purchase price and depreciation. I only recently started doing my own work on it, though, so expect the costs to go down over time going forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM