How to convince my sister to buy an LR4 instead of a Honda Odyssey?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again it is really apples to oranges here. In NJ where we live we have generally messy winters. Used to live in a house with a steep driveway that we just could not climb in our first minivan with 1/2" of snow. When shoping for MV #2 we compared the Odyssey to the Sienna very carefully knowing we could have AWD in the Sienna. Strong selling point for Odyssey was 3-across latch mounting, which meant we still had huge cargo capacity with all 5 of us loaded in and the ability to carry extra people and gear as needed. As for AWD, I think most people think they need it when they really don't. AWD gives worse mileage, and for many who should not be driving in bad wx, a sense of over-confidence. We solved our winter driveway problem in the Odyssey for less than $1000 with a snow tire and wheel package and never had a problem.

Jwest, my sister-in-law got a Highlander and there seems to be plenty of room in cargo area with rear seats deployed...more than the LR in terms of floor space but probably less in terms of cubic feet.

Paula if your sister goes the Odyssey route I still have my snow tires/wheels available and a full weathertech mats if interested...

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest, my sister-in-law got a Highlander and there seems to be plenty of room in cargo area with rear seats deployed...more than the LR in terms of floor space but probably less in terms of cubic feet.

This is what I was talking about.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but I don't think the highlander 3rd row is fit for humans. dogs sure, like in the marketing photos which just show dogs for reason, but not much for not humans.

I just think a Highlander is sort of silly when a minivan has so much more room in all dimensions. The Highlander to me is basically just another boring "tall wagon". If she wanted a real suv that would seem different.

Last edited:

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question you have to ask her is what's more important: vanity or overall utility? I would never be seen in an Odyssey. Our family makes the LR4 work for us, we just pack less crap we really don't end up needing. If we travel with more crap, we use my hitch carrier. Winter driving in Michigan has been brutal on and off so there is no doubt of ability to go anywhere, something the Honda just can't provide. I tend to research extensively before making such purchases, sometimes for months, and the winner for us is our LR4.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our family makes the LR4 work for us, we just pack less crap we really don't end up needing. If we travel with more crap, we use my hitch carrier. Winter driving in Michigan has been brutal on and off so there is no doubt of ability to go anywhere, something the Honda just can't provide. I tend to research extensively before making such purchases, sometimes for months, and the winner for us is our LR4.

How many people in your family or how many would you normally be carrying including driver?

Just curious, the largest inside SUV, aside from the massive domestics like a Suburban XL or Ford Excursion, the biggest I'm aware of is the Mercedes GL. It's 3rd row is pretty nice and there is more cargo space left over with all 3 rows seated. It's actually become a pretty nice vehicle.

The GL price has gone way up too but a buyer can really pick and choose from the options and between 4! engines resulting in a huge price spread. Whereas with LR4, there really isn't a huge spread in the build pricing and not nearly as many choices.

Last edited:

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally we travel the four of us, but we have had 7 in the vehicle before. Our family has had suburbans and they are nice, and our previous vehicle was a XC70. We as a family just tend to pack lighter and tighter to make up for the panache of a LR4. 90% of the time it's on road, commuting to and from work, a family hauler. It can be dressy for a nice dinner out, or messy when going to the beach. It's more vehicle than we need, at the end of a hard day at work, I and my wife wanted a little reward for what we do. In that respect, nothing in that price range did it for us.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally we travel the four of us, but we have had 7 in the vehicle before. Our family has had suburbans and they are nice, and our previous vehicle was a XC70. We as a family just tend to pack lighter and tighter to make up for the panache of a LR4. 90% of the time it's on road, commuting to and from work, a family hauler. It can be dressy for a nice dinner out, or messy when going to the beach. It's more vehicle than we need, at the end of a hard day at work, I and my wife wanted a little reward for what we do. In that respect, nothing in that price range did it for us.

That's one of the simplest and most sound cases for an LR4 that I've ever heard.

Before I turned mine into a 4 seater, then 3, it had been great for a family winter lights viewing drive around town because of the big windows and good seating height for all 6 people, 2 each row.

Now nobody can see in any windows besides the front row with the tint and mesh screens on all 5 rear windows.

The LR4 is so perfect for 4 with lots of gear or even 5 if 1 sits in 3rd row so everyone has some elbow room and their own window.

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, like I said before, I did months of research. I was really pleased with Volvo and considered the XC90 at the time, just a tad too small and not as capable an off roader. I read publication after publication, watched online reviews, etc. nothing in the same price range was as capable a vehicle and had as much rave reviews, not the MB, not the BMW, the Japan products (again, never to be seen in). Domestics were not an option, too much fake bling bling. The answer stuck out, like it does for you.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, Volvo comes into play when considering specifically the wagon segment. I'm irrationally attracted to wagons. I've had 4, still have 1. Finding true utility and comfort and fun in a wagon these days is tricky. The XC70 was up there but at the time I was also stuck on manual and sport handling.

Try that combination: True full size wagon (not hatch backs), 6 spd, AWD, decent cargo volume, fun to drive, comfortable. It's a narrow field instantly which now even requires thinking in terms of all used cars just to end up with a few choices.

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I kept the XC for me, joined the XC forum and am prepping it to remap the ECU to make 300 hp. The LR, boss lady drives

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635