Impressed with Towing (6600lbs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to here about anyone's experience with the SCV6 engine used in the 2014 LR4. Maybe on a different Land Rover vehicle? Or, I guess, if it is an older LRX or Discovery with less HP and torque than the SCV6 that would be another data point.

I know LR kept the max towing weight the same with the 2014 even though it does not have a V8 or the HP/torque of the V8. I'm trying to get comfortable with how that could be.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine power is only one requirement for towing, the vehicle needs enough power to overcome the added mass of the trailer and to be able to pull that load up the steepest grade typically encountered on a paved road. Beyond that, extra power is good for drag-racing tow vehicle commercials (and merging on the highway). An equally important component of towing capacity is body/frame structure, brakes, suspension, etc.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine power is only one requirement for towing, the vehicle needs enough power to overcome the added mass of the trailer and to be able to pull that load up the steepest grade typically encountered on a paved road. Beyond that, extra power is good for drag-racing tow vehicle commercials (and merging on the highway). An equally important component of towing capacity is body/frame structure, brakes, suspension, etc.

Thanks. If we end up doing the towing thing (camping/travel trailer) I'll have a fair bit to learn. Looks like I'll be getting something that will get the job done provided I don't get crazy with the size/weight of the trailer and fill it up. We wouldn't doing that as we would only be looking for something smallish and simple.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info, everyone. Knowing your experiences keeps me from having to consider towing as part of the test drive process.
One question: Does the backup camera work well for guiding the ball to the hitch?

I have wanted an LR4 for years, especially since selling my X5 and "going domestic" with a 2011 Ford Explorer. The '01 X5 was a fantastic tow vehicle for our Mastercraft '07 VRS (~4,500-5000# loaded, wet), in part because of the manual transmission but the entire system was well suited to towing and I never had any trouble getting the boat out of the water, never any issues with sway, etc.
The Explorer has been a constant annoyance when towing. The towing capacity of the Ford is 5,000# only if the vehicle is empty and driven by a 140# person. Trailer sway was a slight issue, gear-hunting was perpetual, fuel economy was (even more) terrible, etc. The one plus it had was the back-up camera- I could put the ball right under the hitch on the first try, every time.

Thanks again for the great info, I'm learning a lot here!
Randy

I just have the HSE Lux included rear camera (not the vision assist cameras with the extra towing features, ball tracking, etc) but its great for hooking up. I can back up to the trailer and park that ball right where it needs to be the first time. You can see the entire bumper in the camera also, its very wide angle.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beyond that, extra power is good for drag-racing tow vehicle commercials (and merging on the highway). An equally important component of towing capacity is body/frame structure, brakes, suspension, etc.

You can say that, but we buy this grade of vehicle for more than simply the capability. You can buy a crappy old ford with more towing capacity than an LR4. Sure you can tow with a FI v6, but you will have to run it harder at higher RPM. Even with the V8, you do hear the motor more when towing a heavy load. I would rather be towing at a lower and more subtle RPM than constantly being at higher revs and having to use who knows how many of those 8 gears in the trans... no matter how smooth the trans is, its still shifting more.

At the end of the day, its less torque, less power, less cylinders (meaning higher rpm, even if it was the same power band).

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can say that, but we buy this grade of vehicle for more than simply the capability. You can buy a crappy old ford with more towing capacity than an LR4. Sure you can tow with a FI v6, but you will have to run it harder at higher RPM. Even with the V8, you do hear the motor more when towing a heavy load. I would rather be towing at a lower and more subtle RPM than constantly being at higher revs and having to use who knows how many of those 8 gears in the trans... no matter how smooth the trans is, its still shifting more.

At the end of the day, its less torque, less power, less cylinders (meaning higher rpm, even if it was the same power band).

I think we really need to have a 2013 vs a 2014, both with the same trailers and the same weight on each at a drag strip.

Who is willing to make this happen?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9