Impressed with Towing (6600lbs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished up 1100 mile trip without issue. Total 22 hour trip. :ahhhhh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 58

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought this given it is winter and it was a '13 leftover. Looking forward to seeing how it tows in the spring.

Have thought of towing my d-90 to events but I'm really afraid it is too heavy on a trailer.

Is anyone pushing close to the GVWR with what they tow? If so, how does it handle?

Attachments

• digi47477160_l.jpg
    digi47477160_l.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 44

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally found this thread again after posting a new one on this topic. I'll ignore (or delete if I can) the new one as my question fits in well here.

We're looking at a travel trailer. (The hybrid kind with fold-down, pop-up like beds.) The one we like has a dry weight of 5005 lbs and a GVW of around 6500. The "hitch weight", which I assume is unloaded, is at 558 lbs. I would do my water fills when we are near the final location.

We do travel light. It is only my wife and I who would be traveling. I estimate our luggage, toys, food and other stuff both in the car an in the trailer to be no more than 1,000 lbs total.

I do need to be able to pull it up mountain passes in Colorado.

And, yes, it is a 2014 with the SCV6 which thus far has been much more engine than I have needed.

Most of you who have trailering experience seem to pull boats and on relatively "flat-ish" ground compared to going over 10k-11K' mountain passes.

Anyone have any experience pulling a travel trailer like this? In the mountains?

BTW, the trailer we are looking at is a Rockwood 23IKSS Roo. 23'.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure it will be able to do it, but its going to be hunting for gears I would bet.

Make sure you have enough fuel with you, because that is going to suck down the fuel, even with the V6.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with no trailer, but a full load of camp gear and two 1730 Pelicans on the roof, getting her up to 12,000 feet took some real fuel.

Rocky Mountain Natnl Park

IMG_20150707_132637.jpg

IMG_20150707_130728.jpg

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with no trailer, but a full load of camp gear and two 1730 Pelicans on the roof, getting her up to 12,000 feet took some real fuel.

Rocky Mountain Natnl Park

IMG_20150707_132637.jpg

IMG_20150707_130728.jpg

Glad to see you were in my neck of the woods! Looked like you picked a great time for weather. ;-( Though to be honest, the weather has not been great this year - unless you like thunderstorms and rain most afternoons. In fact there is one rolling in right now. RMNP is a great place to visit. I hope you had (or are having) a good time and possibly doing a little exploring.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure it will be able to do it, but its going to be hunting for gears I would bet.

Make sure you have enough fuel with you, because that is going to suck down the fuel, even with the V6.

Yes. I would expect the fuel to take a major hit. But then again, my expectations were set years ago with my Dad's RV that would get 8 MPG going through the mountains. So if I get better than 10 I'll be satisfied. My thinking is to get it over the mountains as dry and empty and light as possible. Then once we are near our final location, load up on water, food, etc.

Based on feedback from DonCanada and another person who has spent a year pulling the same model trailer as we want with their LR4 I think there is hope. She said it pulls great but doesn't live in the mountains which is OK as I am less concerned about power. But in both cases they recommended abandoning the factor hitch gizmo and going with a permanent, frame-attached hitch.

I'll keep researching but there is now a glimmer of hope.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635