Impressed with Towing (6600lbs)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me the biggest problem has become what to do with my full size spare (18" Compomotive with 265/60/18 tire on it) which will not fit underneath once I put the Curt hitch on. I don't want a swing away bumper mount as this has other issues such as visibility out the back window and mountain my trailer hitch bike rack. Do I put it on the roof rack? How do you guys do that? It is freaking heavy. Any secret to it or you just lug it up there?

I just looked up the curt and it only has a tongue weight of 800. Thats 29 more than the OEM V3. What am I missing here? :hello:

I am looking at a camping trailer for the family adventures and was planning on using an Equalizer Hitch as well. I have a friend that uses one with a 3500 pound 19 foot camper trailer on a GL550 and its nbd. :ahhhhh:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duly noted but mark me down as someone who is in the dont trust the funky setup camp. I'm a somewhat prolific tower so I'd take the frame hitch, which I'd confidently use ALOT more than a little extra clearance off road on rare occasion.

Well first, "ALOT" isn't a word.

The OEM design IS welded directly into the frame. Proper use yields expected results.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the curt and it only has a tongue weight of 800. Thats 29 more than the OEM V3. What am I missing here? :hello:

I am looking at a camping trailer for the family adventures and was planning on using an Equalizer Hitch as well. I have a friend that uses one with a 3500 pound 19 foot camper trailer on a GL550 and its nbd. :ahhhhh:

The LR3/4 with 3500 lb trailer does not even need anything other than a decent brake controller. A WD hitch only introduces more problems than it's worth for light loads like 3500 lbs.

That GL550 may not have the air suspension (although I figured all 550's had it standard?) but the LR4 will level things out perfectly and handle up to the stated limits without issue. Also know that the GL has a 121" wheelbase compared to LR4 112. The rear overhang is also shorter such that the pivot effect of the trailer against the vehicle is different. The GL should be more stable laterally for both reasons. The LR4 allows a greater "lever" against it by the trailer motion due to the LR4 long rear overhang. Luckily, the LR4 is designed to deal with some decent weight transfers.

I'd be inclined to use a sway control device though in combination with WD like ProPride if you plan to push the limits on weights and/or lengths.

Just know that a travel trailer with a long bumper overhang (like a 28 ft Airstream for example) could drag the bumper when leaving steeper driveway cuts. Obviously this can be managed somewhat by having sliders at those corners to prevent damage. The trailer retains more articulation without the WD, so you can also disconnect part of it to exit a tricky place, then re-connect to get underway.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my solution that I built myself. It bolted trough the recovery loop with a tapered pin to secure it tight to the bumper and through the holes at the bottom as well. I attach a receiver mounted winch to it with no issues I have also lifted the entire rear end of the truck using it to lift from. I tow an off-road trailer with it but I haven't done any heavy trailers yet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437569752.032008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437569777.310408.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437570004.585792.jpg

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well first, "ALOT" isn't a word.

The OEM design IS welded directly into the frame. Proper use yields expected results.

Well guess what? "Suck" and "it" are two words. So suck it then try harder not to be a major ****** bag.

And guess what else? I'd still take a class III frame hitch.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guess what? "Suck" and "it" are two words. So suck it then try harder not to be a major ****** bag.

And guess what else? I'd still take a class III frame hitch.

That's funny. Boo Hoo for you too :bootyshak

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my solution that I built myself. It bolted trough the recovery loop with a tapered pin to secure it tight to the bumper and through the holes at the bottom as well. I attach a receiver mounted winch to it with no issues I have also lifted the entire rear end of the truck using it to lift from. I tow an off-road trailer with it but I haven't done any heavy trailers yet.

Nice! That looks very well done. Maybe the safety chain loops should be revisited to be sure they can carry the weight of the tongue if necessary.
It looks to me like just the two welds would be doing all thew work in that event. What do you think?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is pretty cool! Range Rover Autobiography and an Airstream. (Though I'm not an Airstream fan they are certainly an icon.)

Our trailer is about the same weight. Maybe a bit less. 2' less in length. But nearly 3' higher in height and presents a big, flat front to the wind!

I opted not to go with the OEM hitch. When I pushed my service folks about a "gen 3 hitch" they knew nothing of it and would not stray from the lower tongue weight rating. I also am going to use a Hensley towing system which, in part, provides a weight distribution system and the LR documentation fussed about weight distribution hitches. So I went with the Curt bolt on. I can always take it off if things change.

I haven't towed in the mountains yet (I've only had the trailer 5 days) and I don't have the Hensley on. When I do I'll try to remember to record some numbers and pass them along. (It would be nice to have the SDV8 that the Range Rover in the blog had!) My MY14 only has the SCV6. I plan to take it easy so we'll see how it goes. Some of our mountain passes here are over 11,000.

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 3I1A3827.jpg
    3I1A3827.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 39

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is pretty cool! Range Rover Autobiography and an Airstream. (Though I'm not an Airstream fan they are certainly an icon.)

Our trailer is about the same weight. Maybe a bit less. 2' less in length. But nearly 3' higher in height and presents a big, flat front to the wind!

I opted not to go with the OEM hitch. When I pushed my service folks about a "gen 3 hitch" they knew nothing of it and would not stray from the lower tongue weight rating. I also am going to use a Hensley towing system which, in part, provides a weight distribution system and the LR documentation fussed about weight distribution hitches. So I went with the Curt bolt on. I can always take it off if things change.

I haven't towed in the mountains yet (I've only had the trailer 5 days) and I don't have the Hensley on. When I do I'll try to remember to record some numbers and pass them along. (It would be nice to have the SDV8 that the Range Rover in the blog had!) My MY14 only has the SCV6. I plan to take it easy so we'll see how it goes. Some of our mountain passes here are over 11,000.

For sure on the dealer not knowing. I used to own a independent performance motorsport company and dealers would tell my BMW customers the goofiest things.

Honestly it says 770 on the Gen 3 and thats enough for me to believe in it.

Awesome Trailer! What model?

Considering an Airstream but dang they price them proudly! :eek:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM