Improved MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually get 18 or better on long freeway runs. About 12-14 in the city. My air filter is changed every 6 months with service.

I still get winter mileage at 11.5. I need to do something. Light on the gas pedal too!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when was the last time you had changed your filter? I would be dancing the happy dance if i could avg 17mpg i'm happy now to get 15 avg

and what's everyone's thoughts on that sea foam stuff? the guys ont he tacoma boards swear by them on cleaning out their system.

Hell if I know when it was changed - sure hope it gets done when it's supposed to by the dealer but I will find out tomorrow!

I would not trust foamy crap on these newer engines.

-
However, today I drove over the pass and back to visit mom in the Audi S4 which is a 2008 v8 manual and got 22.1 mpg round trip. The pass is at 3000 ft and home at 300 ft roughly 200 miles with her at 2000 ft. I just took the 2100 cargo box off the roof so the mpg is about 2-3 mpg better than max before. It's a sad day when 22 mpg makes you smile!!!!

Last edited:

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when was the last time you had changed your filter? I would be dancing the happy dance if i could avg 17mpg i'm happy now to get 15 avg

and what's everyone's thoughts on that sea foam stuff? the guys ont he tacoma boards swear by them on cleaning out their system.

My filter was changed at 45k service 7/09 and again at 60k service 1/10. Yes I drive alot and had 15k in a 6 month period. When we drove to Ohio from FL last fall we averaged 19.8 mpg driving 10over the entire way (roughly 75-80mph). My wife has a heavy foot too on the highway thinking we have a Porsche Cayenne Turbo as a SUV.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell if I know when it was changed - sure hope it gets done when it's supposed to by the dealer but I will find out tomorrow!

I would not trust foamy crap on these newer engines.

-
However, today I drove over the pass and back to visit mom in the Audi S4 which is a 2008 v8 manual and got 22.1 mpg round trip. The pass is at 3000 ft and home at 300 ft roughly 200 miles with her at 2000 ft. I just took the 2100 cargo box off the roof so the mpg is about 2-3 mpg better than max before. It's a sad day when 22 mpg makes you smile!!!!

OT, but I never did understand the S4 and it's mpg's. My mom had the much heavier A8 that pushed 30mpg on the hwy (700ft). Of course, she drives like a 'mom', but still...

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from my Audi A6 4.2 (V8, same engine as in the A8) to my LR3 and the LR3 only gets slightly worse gas milage in town on the same exact routes as the A6. Highway is much different story however.

(By the way. . .K&N for the LR3 does is not made of that "foamy crap." It is the actual panal filters made with metal, rubber, and cotton gauze. Way tougher than the OEM filter.)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from my Audi A6 4.2 (V8, same engine as in the A8) to my LR3 and the LR3 only gets slightly worse gas milage in town on the same exact routes as the A6. Highway is much different story however.

(By the way. . .K&N for the LR3 does is not made of that "foamy crap." It is the actual panal filters made with metal, rubber, and cotton gauze. Way tougher than the OEM filter.)

My reference was to the post about spray "sea foam" having nothing to do with the filter material, so you are not reading what was written above.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink