Jerry Cans and Holders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Anyone know a good source for a jerry can holder and can? I am looking for a couple of them for travel plans to an area where gas stations are not prevalent.

I am thinking 15-20L should be fine and I would like holders that ratchet strap to my existing voyager roof rack.

Any thoughts?

Have a great long weekend!

-David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either EE or AT would be your best bet on the West coast.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Hi David. I'm with NASDiesel on Expedition Exchange as a source for a jerry can holder. Have a look here. The EE jerry can holder accepts NATO style jerry cans. CARB has been unfriendly to the fuel can industry, but you can still find NATO-spec cans at Deutch Optik.

While you're at the EE website, consider a second can for water (scroll down for the water can.) It has a special lining for keeping the water potable.

Don't forget to get the spouts, which are sold separately, and consider some spare gaskets as well. I am resisting the temptation to launch into a long rant about why the NATO cans are superior to anything else out there, and the angst relating to the regulatory agencies which have made NATO cans so difficult to obtain. I will, of course, be more than happy to elaborate if you ask. But let it suffice to say that NATO style cans are the best. They don't leak. No fuel, no vapor. Nothing.

Jerry can and spout from Deutshe Optik:
KJC20_sm.jpg
KJC3210.jpg

Water can from Expedition Exchange:
DSC004406340.jpg

They offer a blue spout to match.

Jerry can holder from Expedition Exchange:
DSC06537340.jpg

Finally, the spout comes with a little bracket that allows you to mount the spout to the can, but it's not absolutely secure, especially if the can is stored on its side. I use easy removal cable ties (like you'd find on the pin of a fire extinguisher) to hold the spout onto the can. McMaster item number 7189K12.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for expedition exchange. Sadly, they do not stock a ton of lr4 specific products (which is probably more related to the lack of options out there rather than a decision that they have made), but EE has an amazing list of products for the offroader. I bought my suspension lift, front bumper and many other accessories (for my D1) from them. They are also a great source of information. I strongly recommend them.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CaptainSpalding,

Yet again, you rock!!! Thank you for that awesome information... I am going to order from EE!

Can I ratchet strap the jerry can (in the holder) to my roof rack?

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David or anyone else:
Are you a skier? If so, how do you mount your skies/snowboards to your roof rack? One of the reasons i was leaning towards a thule/yak cross bar and cargo set up was for skiing (and for protecting my gear against the elements). I like the rack, especially the ability to mount hijacks, jerry cans, etc, but was always curious what you would do during the ski season (as my kids have gotten a bit older, we hit the slopes about a dozen times a year).

Also, how much height does a voyager or bajarack add to the car? Being able to park in the garage would be a plus...unknown if the yak/thule setup will also be an issue.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Can I ratchet strap the jerry can (in the holder) to my roof rack?
Well, yes. But then why have the holder? Are you worried about having the holder on the roof all the time? The holder is made so that when not carrying a can the steel "strap" may be removed, leaving only the low-profile tray on the roof rack.

Or perhaps you predict that mounting the jerry can holder to your roof rack will be problematic. I just reviewed your photos of the Voyager half rack, and the orientation and spacing of the steel members don't facilitate mounting the EE jerry can holder, or anything smaller than a suitcase. IMHO your rack needs a floor. Lots of folks use poultry flooring on their roof racks. It's a plastic grid, 2'x4'x1/2", with approximately 1" open squares. Have a look at this thread on another forum. Attach the poultry flooring to the rack with zip ties. That's right. I said zip ties. They're cheap, easy to attach. Easy to remove. Strong as hell. (Get them from an industrial supply rather than the big box store and they'll be of better quality.) Just use a lot of them. Once your rack has a floor, loading soft sided items like duffel bags is much easier, and attaching the tray of the jerry can holder will be a snap. If you search "roof rack poultry floor" you will uncover a lot of info.

Find it here.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David or anyone else:
Are you a skier? If so, how do you mount your skies/snowboards to your roof rack? One of the reasons i was leaning towards a thule/yak cross bar and cargo set up was for skiing (and for protecting my gear against the elements). I like the rack, especially the ability to mount hijacks, jerry cans, etc, but was always curious what you would do during the ski season (as my kids have gotten a bit older, we hit the slopes about a dozen times a year).

Also, how much height does a voyager or bajarack add to the car? Being able to park in the garage would be a plus...unknown if the yak/thule setup will also be an issue.
Hi bromhead,

I am not a skier, but I know some folks on the forum will definitely be able to chime in. I believe the Baja Rack is 5" tall (you need the short rails to install) and the Voyager rack is 6", though they offer a low profile edition that is 4".

Hopefully other folks can comment on the Yak/Thule setup.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yes. But then why have the holder? Are you worried about having the holder on the roof all the time? The holder is made so that when not carrying a can the steel "strap" may be removed, leaving only the low-profile tray on the roof rack.

Or perhaps you predict that mounting the jerry can holder to your roof rack will be problematic. I just reviewed your photos of the Voyager half rack, and the orientation and spacing of the steel members don't facilitate mounting the EE jerry can holder, or anything smaller than a suitcase. IMHO your rack needs a floor. Lots of folks use poultry flooring on their roof racks. It's a plastic grid, 2'x4'x1/2", with approximately 1" open squares. Have a look at this thread on another forum. Attach the poultry flooring to the rack with zip ties. That's right. I said zip ties. They're cheap, easy to attach. Easy to remove. Strong as hell. (Get them from an industrial supply rather than the big box store and they'll be of better quality.) Just use a lot of them. Once your rack has a floor, loading soft sided items like duffel bags is much easier, and attaching the tray of the jerry can holder will be a snap. If you search "roof rack poultry floor" you will uncover a lot of info.

Find it here.
Hey CaptainSpalding,

This is very helpful - thank you! I guess I thought the jerry can holder would actually strap to my roof rack and then hold the jerry can. I was only planning to have the holder/jerry can on the roof as needed and not there all the time. I think I was a bit dumb, as I am now realizing that the jerry can holder is probably a permanent part of the rack in some cases.

Your idea about the poultry flooring is awesome, as I can remove it when not in use or when loading cargo. So, with the poultry flooring I can ratchet strap down cargo (bags, etc.) and the jerry can holder with no problem. I really like that it's all relatively easy to remove. This is a great idea! :)

One question... do I want the overlapping or non-overlapping mesh? I assume the overlapping.

Thanks so much!

-David

Last edited:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi bromhead,

I am not a skier, but I know some folks on the forum will definitely be able to chime in. I believe the Baja Rack is 5" tall (you need the short rails to install) and the Voyager rack is 6", though they offer a low profile edition that is 4".

Hopefully other folks can comment on the Yak/Thule setup.

-David

Thanks David.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72