Just noticed a new HSE tire at Tire Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 5000 miles on the OE good-for-1-year tires, they are at least half gone. I was looking at Tire Rack and noticed the Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires. Anybody try these yet?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S

I have to admit that the half worn Goodyears do work pretty well in sand, and the LR3 is absolutely amazing on the beach compared to other SUVs we have owned. (MDX & Q7)

I'd like to find tires that last at least 20K miles and can handle some offroad duty on sand. Maybe I'll give these Pirellis a try. I was really happy with a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires we had on the Q7.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of our customers has these on his full-size and he likes them alot. Quiet and good grip. We took a group to Great Sand Dunes NP, here in Colorado and he was very happy with them on-road, off-road and in the sand. No long-term results just yet.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
The ATRs are new for the US for 19" wheels.

I've read about them on UK forums that the ATRs are similar to the BFG AT tires. They are supposted to be quiet, have an approx. 40,000 mile tread life and offer reasonable off-road traction. The sidewalls are stronger too.

I'm considering them too b/c when I move to Miami, I'll be on the road more often than on trails. They don't so much like a road tire such as the Scorpion AT and Michelin Latitudes.. They are a bit more aggressive.

If you want a serious off-road tire, the Goodyear MTRs are now available too in 19"

nwoods made an announcement about the MTRs recently on a thread.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any official listing for the Goodyear MT/R on their website in the 255/55R19 size. They have an 18" size now listed, and it might fit on the LR3....but it's got an outside diameter of 32" (not OE size) so there may be rubbing.

Nathan indicated that the 19" OE sized MT/R was still "on its way" and if so then that's awesome.

I have invested in aftermarket 18" wheels and at this point am committed to running two sets of tires, one on my 19 inchers for on-road performance (Michelin Synchrones) and offroaders on my 18" tires (currently Coopers, maybe MT/Rs down the road).

...this is a good way to go if you can find alternate rims at a price you can live with.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a Bridgestone here or on the way, a Toyo (I tried it, so far not impressed with hydroplane resistance but I have no comparison on an LR3), the GY OEM, the Pirelli, a Korean brand (IIRC, Hankook or maybe a Kumho). Vredenstein also makes a summer and a snow tire. Could be one or two I forgot. Not lots of choice. I would gamble on a Bridgestone Dueler HT, but when I bought in April this tire was planned but not yet for sale. Now could be different. The Pirellis struck me as much too costly and I've had so many bad ones before, though others swear by them for the LR3.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the Pirelli ATRs yesterday after squeezing 30k out of the OEMs... so far so good - I'll report any issues.

I've been a fan of the P Zero Neros on my Audi, hoping for the same on the LR3. Lack of 19" selection is pretty frustrating,

clew

Reaction score
Just picked up the Pirelli ATRs yesterday after squeezing 30k out of the OEMs... so far so good - I'll report any issues.

I've been a fan of the P Zero Neros on my Audi, hoping for the same on the LR3. Lack of 19" selection is pretty frustrating,

Any word on the Pirelli ATRs? Post a photo if you can. Thanks.

Chris

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bust out the camera - nice looking tire IMHO

Put 600 miles on them down a variety of highways two days ago, no dirt yet. Really quiet, nice and grippy, no flat spots as of yet. Didn't seem to tramline as much as the OEMs... so far so good.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...seems like a truck that well outfitted for the trail ought to have more aggressive tires. In the UK, the Goodyear MT/Rs would be my choice!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo