For those of us that miss the Pirelli ATR, check out this new tire...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffdude

Reaction score
I am not that savvy with tires but is an AT tire usually good in the snow?

jeffdude

Reaction score
I am not that savvy with tires but what does the AT rating get us? I would think an AT tire would handle the snow well ??

MST

Reaction score
I was looking into them as well but after the stock conti's I decided I would wait for more reviews over time. I decided to go with Goodyear Adventure at's yesterday (255-60-19). So far they seem nice but will comment after more time with them. Reviews have said the Goodyears have been good in snow. I will not have any snow where I am so I cannot comment on that.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not that savvy with tires but is an AT tire usually good in the snow?

Just because a manufacturer decided to classify a tire as "AT" doesn't mean it is good on snow and ice. Selection of compound (hard/soft) and siping is more important. Tires that perform well during cold weather are usually soft compounds.

Similar to "All-Season" tires that are a compromise for all-seasons!

Last edited:

silvajt

Reaction score
Just got Continental Terraincontact A/T 255/55 R19 mounted. Here are a couple pictures. Can't provide feedback at this time since I've only had them since Friday. Enjoy.
48ac18c218698dd34daf478e51306f65.jpg
1470de6f499d78b06c448dc7c49ebf32.jpg
a690ca91b5d5bcc3a375c686afefa4aa.jpg
c4501632da80237ce8877e1d81c2af8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aakempvt

Reaction score
Those look great. Interested in a review. I need another option after my Cooper Xenons are done humming.

dschwartzaz

Reaction score
FYI you can still source Pirelli Scorpion ATRs online - i purchased 4x in January from Amazon when we purchased our 2008 LR3 and I picked up another one this week from another vendor (Amazon had stock but price was up $40) to replace our donut spare with steel and ATR.

On road handling has been excellent and very quiet over the last ~8k miles. Have had off-road in Sedona technical trails and it performed very well.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics, silvajt. I myself have been super interested in this tire for a while and as have mentioned earlier in other posts, have anxiously been waiting for LR4 owner' reviews before pulling the trigger. So I am very much interested in what you have to say and am going be keeping my eye on this thread for your review/impressions, and hopefully will not have to wait much :) .

What tires did you migrate from?

There is another person on this forum who has purchased a set but has not posted any reviews yet, hopefully we will hear their thoughts as well soon.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pics of the TerrainContact silvajt just posted, I'v got a question for the experienced ones here.

Right where the sidewall meets the tread' outer edge, it seems like that there is quite a bit of gap in between the outer edge tread blocks and you could see the tire' bare skin area thru that empty space. Isn't that open area vulnerable to cuts or pinches from small sharp rocks or while climbing a sharp edged rock/terrain in an angle?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pics of the TerrainContact silvajt just posted, I'v got a question for the experienced ones here.

Right where the sidewall meets the tread' outer edge, it seems like that there is quite a bit of gap in between the outer edge tread blocks and you could see the tire' bare skin area thru that empty space. Isn't that open area vulnerable to cuts or pinches from small sharp rocks or while climbing a sharp edged rock/terrain in an angle?

Possibly. But you have to let the mud/water/snow squeeze out somewhere. I think that is the compromise they took: keep tread block tight in the middle for quietness and comfort, and open up outer grooves for off-road performance. It's no different than ultra-high performance tires. They have huge sections of tread with no grooves for better traction, but they need to also perform in the wet, so the channels are rather wide.

Very interested in reviews. I would love a tire like that as I do not do much off-roading, but it must be comfortable at highway speeds as this is also the primary (and for now only) family trip car and the family is used to the comfort of the OEM Conti's (however crappy they are). As long as these are no worse than OEM, it's a candidate. Otherwise, I'll just go for the Michelins.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72