Just picked up my new '13 Corris Gray HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is just a hair more involving if you have the 7-seat config, since you need to raise the 3rd row seatbacks to reach the crank of the spare tire winch and all tools are stored in a tight bundle on the side of the cargo area instead of neatly spread on a tray under the floor... A couple of suggestions: Don't allow any slack in the steel wire after you lower or before you raise the spare, keep it under tension as much as you can so you will minimize chances of the wire jamming on the spool as it winds up or down. Spray some lube on the mechanism every now and then. And, as tempting as it may look, don't ever use an air tool to "speed things up" when winding or unwinding the winch. Crank it by hand.

Last edited:

Stepsride

Reaction score
Hey everyone - first time Land Rover owner here. Last week I picked up my new '13 Corris Gray LR4. I looked all over the southeast and finally found a non LUX in Gray/Almond in Charlotte. I made the deal and drove it back to Atlanta last friday!

I have always been a huge fan of the RR and so far I am in love with LR4 which met my needs much more than the RR or RRS. I look forward to learning more here on the forums!

Any reason you did not want the LUX? I am an avid off road guy that has another brand. I am looking at the LR4 as well for the family and light offroad car. Anything I should not be looking at?

ryano

Reaction score
Any reason you did not want the LUX? I am an avid off road guy that has another brand. I am looking at the LR4 as well for the family and light offroad car. Anything I should not be looking at?

Personally I didnt want the softer leather. I am a photographer and haul gear constantly and was worried about the softer leather getting damaged. Also I dont care about the better sound system or console cooler. I spend the extra money on the tow receiver and other items ill actually use.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I didnt want the softer leather. I am a photographer and haul gear constantly and was worried about the softer leather getting damaged. Also I dont care about the better sound system or console cooler. I spend the extra money on the tow receiver and other items ill actually use.
When I purchased my '10 LR4 HSE I opted out of the Lux because my Son was pretty new to the world and the non-Lux leather is amazingly tough. It's for serious activity use IMO... or photo-gear as you noted, something you won't need to worry about with wet shorts or your kid barfing all over the back seat. Which my Son did a few times. After three-years when I traded her in, the seats looked like they were brand new! Nevertheless, now that my Son is 4, I ended up getting the Lux leather this time around since it won't get much unexpected wear. I love the Lux leather... but find myself "always" worrying about it. The cooler is useless IMO. You can keep that bad boy on for hours and your drinks are just a bit cooler than room-temp. And it's noisy. I used mine twice and now it's just out of mind I even have one. Drinks also roll around/slide in there too... which is an annoyance.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I purchased my '10 LR4 HSE I opted out of the Lux because my Son was pretty new to the world and the non-Lux leather is amazingly tough. It's for serious activity use IMO... or photo-gear as you noted, something you won't need to worry about with wet shorts or your kid barfing all over the back seat. Which my Son did a few times. After three-years when I traded her in, the seats looked like they were brand new! Nevertheless, now that my Son is 4, I ended up getting the Lux leather this time around since it won't get much unexpected wear. I love the Lux leather... but find myself "always" worrying about it. The cooler is useless IMO. You can keep that bad boy on for hours and your drinks are just a bit cooler than room-temp. And it's noisy. I used mine twice and now it's just out of mind I even have one. Drinks also roll around/slide in there too... which is an annoyance.
Hey Count!

As you know, I also had the non-Lux leather on my previous LR4 and it was definitely really rugged. This time around I opted for the Lux leather and it is definitely much softer (and quite a bit more comfortable), but I also find myself getting a little nervous. Even so, it does seem to be really durable and tough, though I am not taking too many chances. If I go on a longer trip or for serious activities, I just throw on the OEM seat covers I have - I did that with the non-Lux leather too.

I also have to agree about the fridge, it's pretty worthless. I like the fact that the little cargo area is easy cleaned, but I have only used my fridge once and that's it.

I hope all is well.

-David

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count,

Did I read that you recently purchased a RRS? I was just curious about your thoughts of a LR4 vs RRS comparison. I will be ready to turn in my 2011 LR4 next fall and in my mind am considering the RRS but not sure of I will be happy with the downsize in space. I've seen options and packages in the RRS but as someone who has owned both I would be interested in your opinion. Especially considering the new changes to the RRS. Thanks.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look forward to driving both, back-to-back, as soon as we take delivery. I'll share my review :smile:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count,

Did I read that you recently purchased a RRS? I was just curious about your thoughts of a LR4 vs RRS comparison. I will be ready to turn in my 2011 LR4 next fall and in my mind am considering the RRS but not sure of I will be happy with the downsize in space. I've seen options and packages in the RRS but as someone who has owned both I would be interested in your opinion. Especially considering the new changes to the RRS. Thanks.
I loved my LR4, it's an amazing vehicle and serves so many purposes. And if you really need the space, the RRS will feel/seem smaller. I purchased a MY13 RRS. It included the Silver Package which pretty much gives you every option but the rear entertainment system. I truly love it! To say one is better than the other isn't fair though. Because again, both serve their purpose. The RRS does have a lower roof-line and the rear slopes down rather than squared off. Therefore, you have less headroom, and less upper space in the boot. BUT, the headroom is still very ample. As the LR4, has headroom that's stratospheric. The rear seats in the RRS are also tighter, but, I'm 5" 9" so my seat isn't further back like it would be for the 6-footers, leaving plenty of leg-room for my wife/and Son's baby seat. I hauled around my in-laws/Wife/Son (total of 5-people) and no one was uncomfortable and even commented a couple of times they liked it more than the LR4 I had.

The RRS also does not have the 3rd row, which I only used twice in the three-years of ownership. Another note, the rear boot area, load level, is just a few inches shorter than the LR4... so you can still load it up with plenty of stuff. You just can't load high items, as the LR4 has that really high/squared off rear space. I have not found this an issue, I still haul around bags of stone for my landscaping... plants, same crazy stuff I hauled around in my LR4. So no issues there whatsoever.

The LR4 cockpit is nice, and fits the style of the truck. It's an amazingly comfortable space as well... gives a real sense of space. The RRS is more ****-pit orientated, the seats are very sport-like... they hug you, and the dash, swoops down, and the center-console area is higher and is at arm/resting height which gives you that jet-fighter/****-pit experience. You can hold the shifter and shift without the need to reach for it... it's sweet. And although the RRS still has that commanding seat height feature, you don't feel like you're going to roll out through the front windscreen and onto the bonnet. You still get that commanding feel... but it's more direct and matches the view points of the interior/and bonnet... giving you a sense of control over the vehicle, which makes sense, since it's a more sport orientated driving experience.

I haven't spent much time in a LUX LR4, but the RRS interior is quite refined and luxurious. It is also extremely quiet at head level, since it has the acoustic glass windscreen and driver and passenger feature. It successfully drowns out unwanted frequencies that are common surrounds. What the acoustic glass doesn't do, is drown out the V8 and rumble that is completely different than the sound of the LR4. The drive train is visceral. You can feel the V8 rumble, and that V8 oscillation at idle you'd experience in say a newer muscle car. It's an amazing experience especially in sport mode. Since the overall feel is completely different than the LR4. And for the record, the LR4 shouldn't be this way, it's a more refined, luxury family vehicle, whereas the RRS IMO, is more bad-boy... heavy metal-esque. Out to cause some trouble.

Back to sport mode: The sport mode is very special and intoxicating. Although when not in sport mode the character of the RRS is, well, sporty... when it's in sport mode, it shapes up to be a more direct and encompassing experience. The throttle mapping is quicker, the sport shifting is frankly lightening quick, I'm really amazed at how fast it shifts and the shift sound that goes along with it.

Downshifting is delightful and addictive, because in sport mode, the exhaust flexes its muscles and becomes more throaty, produces a sound and welcome vibration throughout the floor, center console, and buttock area that cannot be explained other than it reminds me of my e90 M3. While you're experiencing this, you look around the cabin, the size/feel of the truck, and just smile... because it's so bad-ass!!! Everyone who has been in my RRS sport suddenly realizes this isn't anything like any other SUV they've been in.

Another realization that I had after I purchased the RRS is how "Jeep-like" it is. It is the size of pretty much any mid-sized SUV - Jeep Cherokee from the 90s size. So when you look around the cabin, you still feel you're driving something spacious, but not overwhelmed in size. When I drove my LR4 by myself, I felt very lonely and vulnerable. It was just too big for me - felt like I was in a warehouse. And my Wife and Son only get in the car on the weekends - so it just made me feel alone.

When I'm alone now, I can enjoy the RRS as being mine... not a forced product on my mind-set because I think I need more space. If I had a bigger family I likely wouldn't have purchased the RRS. My selfish need to meet my mindset would have been deferred until a later time. But again, I didn't need the LR4 space and really wanted something I can enjoy. So any comparison here is really about what the family needs and what the family can accept.

I hope this helps paint a better picture of both vehicles. Each one has their purpose and I wish I could have both. At one point, I did try and convince my wife to take the LR4... but she loves smaller cars hence her love affair for her little Merc. I couldn't even convince her to get the E-class... anything larger than a 3-series or C-class is considered "too big." Annoying IMO. And although she loves driving the RRS, because of its sporty handling characteristics, she still says it's really big.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count,

That was an incredible and very descriptive review but you've only made the waiting worse :wink:

I like how you described that when I'll be driving alone (5 days a week) I can enjoy the RRS as being mine. When we need the space, we can take the LR4 (we get frequent visits from family and used the third row on the Discovery 4 very often).

Lucky for me I can have both. I didn't have to convince my wife to take the LR4... She wouldn't have it any other way :biggrin: She loved driving the Discovery 4 and the LR4 will only be better. She always felt "very safe" in the big Discovery 4, especially with the way they drive and the road conditions in Panama.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count,

That was an incredible and very descriptive review but you've only made the waiting worse :wink:

I like how you described that when I'll be driving alone (5 days a week) I can enjoy the RRS as being mine. When we need the space, we can take the LR4 (we get frequent visits from family and used the third row on the Discovery 4 very often).

Lucky for me I can have both. I didn't have to convince my wife to take the LR4... She wouldn't have it any other way :biggrin: She loved driving the Discovery 4 and the LR4 will only be better. She always felt "very safe" in the big Discovery 4, especially with the way they drive and the road conditions in Panama.
You definitely have the best of both worlds. My wife never felt unsafe in the LR4... it does give you a "I'm driving a tank, stay out of my way" feeling... but for me, with my heavy-foot, I never felt comfortable driving her on the highway at speeds above 75 mph. And that's not because it felt unstable, it's just that that "what if" situation, where one would really need to maneuver the truck at that speed to avoid an accident, and with a wife and child, that's something that could be absolutely disastrous at that speed, no matter how skilled of a driver you are. And this applies to any large SUV.

So when I drove on the highway in the LR4, I just cruised along like an old man. And I pretty much do the same in the RRS when the wife and kid are riding along with me. But when I'm alone, doing 90 plus (w/the pace of traffic) isn't a concern whatsoever. Actually, a few weeks ago I was taking the 280 down to San Jose following another RRS and a S-Class Benz and all three of us were cruising at 100 mph.

What I don't feel comfortable doing in the RRS, is taking her off-road. Not off-road though in the sense of off-road, but in the sense of someone like David, that can take the LR4 up a mountain, literally, and through sink-holes, and over crazy rocks... That is something, I wouldn't put my RRS through, because she's just too pretty... and she'd probably get stuck. ;-) And that is why you my friend, have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM