Key fob and key shank re-programming issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in the hole where the key ring goes and you will see a small slot. (down in the flat part of the hole where the key ring on the flat part of the hole on the side towards the body of the key.) Back side up & bottons down, use a pocket knife and pry that little slot up towards the BACK side, When it's up about a quarter inch swing the ring around an hold that end open. Next go to the end with the blade and insert a small pocket knire or flat screwdriver and twist it open... Voila. Easy as pie and the battery is right there in plain view. I have a 2004 Discovery. Read the battery number and go buy one.

Batteries are priced weird. 1 for $4 and a dozen for $12 on the internet. Buy the dozen and pass them around to your friends. LandRover is not the only vehicle that uses the CR2032 battery. Replace yours, the wife, the kids and the neighbors. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Landrover, BMW, etc... all use the same battery.

I just opened mine with a pocket knife to confirm while sitting here at the computer.

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D2 or D3 key fob?

I think there is a difference between the design and operation of the D2 and D3 key fobs.

According to me, (and others), the D3/LR3 key fob requires the 3 volt VL2330 battery; also this battery is supposed to be rechargeable and hence Land Rover did not design the fob to be routinely opened.

As such, I wondered if you were opening a D2 key fob as that is what your thread suggests? If so, you may find the D3 key fob is a bit more of a challenge.

Apparently another reason for the design change was to make the 3's key fob waterproof.

carlie.jade

Reaction score
Stolen keys

I'm not sure if this is where I can ask this question. But I'm new to the land rovers and I had my keys stolen (I only had one, bought used) The dealership is making me get two keys, saying that if I only purchase one that my system will crash. I have a 2012 evoque. I've spoke to many technicians and most say that they have never heard of this. But I was wondering if someone else could teach me a few things. I've done some research and cannot find anything on programming and keys. I also don't know if I'm doing this forum right lol Thanks in advance! :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72