Knocking sounds--suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a knock coming from something in the suspension I think. It is really more than a slight knock. Anytime I hit the speed bumps at my work (NOT THE MALL THANK YOU VERY MUCH) at a slow speed and give my suspension time to compress any small amount and rebound normally there is a knock...or two. Clunk-clunk. I can actually feel it, not just hear it. Bushings? Something else worn out?

I've been under it numerous times yanking on suspension components trying to even slightly reproduce the sound. Not once have I found anything loose at all. I'm thinking of just buying a set of poly bushings and installing all new ones.

Some dude said it could even be the axle bearings(carrier bearings?). Of course he looked at my Disco and said 'what is that?' Hehe. I'm grasping at straws at this point.

Suggestions?

Oh, if this helps the diagnosis at all...I'm pretty sure the CV is going bad on the left from side. It only clicks when the wheel is locked all the way to the left and decent throttle is applied. With little throttle applied, no click. With the truck up on stands in the front, there is very little/no play in the tire, leading me to think it's not a bad bearing.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you've been under there already but I would check it again. Check all of your suspension, steering and exhaust components (one of my muffler hangers is broken and makes a little knocking noise). Good luck!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are caps on those lug nuts all tight? :) (as well as lug nuts themselves)

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you spring-lifted with stock length shocks? could be hitting the bottom bumpstop on the shocks...

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible it's the exhaust. I thought the hangers were all pretty tight, but will check it again.

Lugs are tight, or the wheel would've fallen off already. It's been doing this for a long time now. ;)

No lift yet. Possibly the shocks are toast. I believe they're the original shocks. 110k miles.

I'll slide under it again this weekend. Get all greasy and have fun.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got 110k on your shocks. Sounds like time for new ones and probably a steering stabilizer.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you are right. I've been waiting to possibly do the whole shocks/springs/tires/lift thing all at once when the tires are needing replaced. They seem to work good, though, strange.

How silly would a 3" lift look with stock tires for a while? ;)

Or...could I just get new shocks all around and not worry about them not being a longer length for a period of time?

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff Discos said:
How silly would a 3" lift look with stock tires for a while? ;)

Hey, easy there. I'm gonna be riding around on the stockers with the lift here pretty soon. The UPS Santa should be arriving next week.

Last edited:
L

Len

Maybe it's this?

Not much of a mechanic...just obsessive. I had this same sound and finally traced it to the forward bolt on the radius arm. It didn't show as loose until I jacked it up and took the pressure off.

All in all an easy fix.

Len

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u-joints

check your u-joint or drive line any binding? slip yoke or what Rover calls it propeller shaft is there any binding that can sound like a knock. When you go over bumps your yokes will stretch there could be binding in the spline shaft or in the u-joints.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90