Land Rover LR3 reliability - how does it truly compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so if there's a bump in repair rates it'll be evident sooner.

There's plenty of discussion about how the reliability of a Land Rover compares to that of competitors. But there aren't any good numbers out there to enable a precise comparison. I intend to fix this.

I have been assuming that not enough LR3s are sold for me to get a large enough sample of the model. But I've had a larger than expected number enrolled in the panel, such that for the 2005 and 2006 model years I'm nearly to the minimum needed to start collecting data.

If many LR3 owners are interested in there being better reliability info on the model, and help provide the data, then it will happen.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting closer, but still need more enrolled before I can start collecting data.

B

BAZMAN

Well, I have read enough opinion in the technical problems post that killed the idea of me going for the LR3 HSE V6. I can't afford the mental anguish of worrying about how much this car would cost me in terms of time. When I buy a car that has been designed for off roading, I darn well use it for that purpose. I very much doubt that an LR3 can go on a trip with a Toyota Landcruiser or a Nissan Patrol and come out in one piece.... Some of us might sneer at these two brands, but if you want trouble free motoring, there really is no other way to go :)

ddeeble

Reaction score
I wouldn't sneer at a Toyota or Nissan - I had a lot of fun in my 4x4 Xterra! But I certainly wouldn't begin and end my car-shopping list with them. Toyota just recalled a million vehicles worldwide for a defect that could cause a total loss of steering control - hardly 'trouble free' motoring!

I don't know the Nissan Patrol (it's not offered in the US) but I think the Landcruiser is a very fine vehicle. And I would stack any one of a half-dozen stock vehicles against it any day of the week. Compared to the LR3, the minimum ground clearance is .3" better, but suffers in the approach, departure and breakover angles. Torque is similar (310 vs. 315 in the LR3) but horsepower in the Landcruiser is lower by about 35HP. Curb weights are also close (LR3 HSE is about 250 lbs. heavier), but the LR3's towing capacity is 1200 lbs greater. One big difference? The Landcruiser is substantially more expensive (about $6,000 - more than 10% over the LR3) but offers no tangible advantage. Once you get to a certain level of 'base' vehicle, I think the differences between most trucks are more personal preference and lifestyle than true engineering capability.

There's a reason Land Rover, AM General (HUMMER) and Mercedes wear a lot of khaki green around the world. You may lose every bit of trim along the way, but the rig WILL get you where you need to go. :)

Last edited:

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fully redesigned Land Cruiser will be introduced soon. The Lexus version was just shown in New York. Along with a larger, all-new body it gets the 381-horsepower V8 from the new Tundra.

S

Shawnski

Bazman - I too had my suspicians about reliability etc. Although the fact that they are owned by Ford is IMO a postive as I have had excellent service and reliability with Fords for over 25 years.

I did not buy the LR3 because its owned by Ford, there is nothing apparent to be of Ford origin except for the electric mirror control...The Jaguar sourced 4.4 V8 was completely developed by Jag and shares nothing with Ford - the Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 is a Jag derived motor from this same family. This engine family actually has more in common with the BMW M60 V8 family in terms of design. The 6-speed tranny is of German origin built by ZF.

In fact the overall DNA is more BMW than FoMoCo. The thoughness and attention to detail is really quite excellent and this obsesive Germanic solidity is what convinced me to trade in my BMW 325.

I purchased my 2005 LR3 in early March of this year and now I have 29k miles. It is certified and while has some espected wear and tear, the operational quality of this vehicle is perhaps the best I have ever experieced. Now while I consider my self a Ford man, I have owned two 5 series ('92 and '94) and one 3 Series ('06 325) BMWs in addition to Saab, Honda, Mazda, among many Mustangs and Ford trucks. I love V8's and European sensibilites to auto design.

I don't know but this thing makes me feel that England could still rule the seas and colonize the world! Land Rover is like really good HiFi equipment, and Range Rover is like highend HiFi. Well made, brilliant capability, refined and they make you feel special. With my certified warrenty, the opertional exactness, and awsome dealer in Appleton WI have given me confidence.

S

Shawnski

I forgot to interject about the 4.0 model. That engine is Ford, made in Germany and is quite good. The basic 60 degree iron shortblock design goes back to the sixties and very stout. The OHC is novel in that on one side it is chain driven off the crank, and on the rear of that head feeds a chain to the other cylinder bank. I had one in Explorer ST and while it liked fuel, it was torqueyand willing.

Actually I am not to very disappoint in the fuel econmy of the 4.4 V8 I have never gotten less than 16 and it reached over 20 on the hwy - not bad for a 5500 lb battleship! Plus this is the only "truck" I have ever owned that is not goverend and like a BMW it has penchent for high speed - 120 MPH is doable... Oh and those German Goodyear tires are simply outstanding - quiet, grippy and great in the snow. Plus they look great with near 30k - should do 60k easily.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a triple to me:biggrin:

There appears to be an inconsistency in your post. I suspect that going 120 mph is not compatible with fuel econ over 16 mpg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72