Lifted LR3 ride/handling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyrover

Reaction score
Houm_WA,
I think you were the only one that actually stated the difference in handling while driving a lifted vehicle. I was hoping more people with lifted vehicles that drive them that way all the time would chime in. I ordered a IIDtool so I guess I can try it out for myself and will report back my findings. Is it easy to program a lifted height and is it also possible to store multiple settings?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it's fairly easy. From your live values you can see how much leeway you have between the highest sensor setting and the max sensor setting allowable value. You could then apply that delta value to each corner and save that setting. That is the easiest way to get max height. Process is the same for any other height, but change that delta to the diff between highest sensor and desired value and go from there.

The GAP folks would be happy to walk you through this, also.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... causes a bit more body roll.

If you want the best of both worlds get an IIDTool and save a setting at a taller height. You can then switch back 'n forth between your saved height and stock height in a matter of minutes.

A "bit more" ? LOL. It's dramatically worse.

Both of my previous solid axle rovers were lifted and the difference here is that with a 2" or so spring and damper lift, the D2 actually felt more responsive and planted but that's because the aftermarket coil springs and dampers were so much better than factory with a few miles already on them plus the added weight of the tubular steel Safety Devices safari rack.

On coil springs one can actually improve handling from crappy stock springs and dampers but simply raising a factory air strut higher is an absolute degradation in highway handling.

The actual "best" plan is to have an IIDtool for general fault issues and the like but for height control "on-the-fly" is well worth the small expense.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm_WA,
I think you were the only one that actually stated the difference in handling while driving a lifted vehicle. I was hoping more people with lifted vehicles that drive them that way all the time would chime in. I ordered a IIDtool so I guess I can try it out for myself and will report back my findings. Is it easy to program a lifted height and is it also possible to store multiple settings?

Hi WY, I use my LLAMS switch often and will confirm that the faster you drive @ +2" or more, the handling is just more "swayful" but also induces dive when stopping or cornering while braking. Riding higher at speed can also induce loss of body mass control sooner due to up/down changes in the roadway because sitting higher reduces the down-travel available in the struts.

For example, if you are standing stiff and straight legged, skiing down a slope will get interesting.... but if you bend your knees and ankles, you not only can still absorb bumps but also dips while your body mass follows a more controlled path through space..... it's really not rocket science for f-u-ck sake! (not intended at you WY)

conversely, riding at -20mm tightens up the handling and reduces even the normal amount of body roll. It's just goofy how some people refuse to acknowledge things like the world being round and an suv on air suspension rolling more when higher...

Here's another great use for being able to drop the vehicle way down low: root tent access on rough terrain without needing a ladder booster but also.... sitting up high on overextended air struts makes for a more wobbly tent experience.

One can actually roll around on the bump stops, like getting into a home garage, etc but the lower it is and the larger the tires, the front is less able to turn without rubbing the inner fender arch.

I'm using 32" tires but have the mods to allow more inner fender liner clearance, especially important in the rear.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... after I lifted our DII it was harder to drive at highway speeds. You definitely had a learning curve to it. I didn't mind it so much as most of our driving was at slower speeds.

Hey,
A. what did you mean by "harder" to drive the D2 after lifted and
1-harder in just feeling in control or harder in that it felt a little more "lumbering" due to larger tires and more spring travel?

B. what parts were used specifically to lift it? I ask because there are 3 physical lifts and then the added effect of larger tires almost always included regardless of lift parts used.
The 3 basic lifts would be:
1-new springs and dampers (ranging from 1.5-2" which do not require other mods, higher requiring minor mods such as longer brake lines and tall requiring other physical parts such as radius arms, etc)
2-simple spring spacers (cheap route)
3-body lift which is usually in combination with proper spring lift

I ask these because the mild lift I put on the 2004 D2 is Old Man Emu medium duty springs and damper kit for a ~2" gain, maybe more like 1.75" after adding a rack and gear. It felt so much better when running the factory 18" wheels and sized tires. Any negative change in the feel of driving only came when I switched to E load range BFG AT KO on 16" rover wheels. The combo was both much, much heavier but also a stiffer tire and more contact patch.

It was actually very cool to feel the difference between spring lift first without the big heavy tires. Like I said, the handling was actually more precise but the springs were stiffer than factory and it had no big steel bumpers to offset them. The dampers being new and better also added to the overall improvement.

Our LR3 is often used for our family trips and our interstate speed limit here is 80 mph. The last thing I want is a vehicle that is harder to drive because of a lift. So those of you that have a lifted LR3/LR4 I would like to hear what your experience is with a lifted vehicle traveling at 75-80 mph vs a stock height vehicle?

For these stated purposes alone, I would 100% avoid driving on constant lift. The slower you drive, the less it would feel troublesome.

If almost all the time, you'll be on pavement or basic forest roads and on tires no larger than 265/65x18 (31.5" diameter), then there is absolutely no need for ANY additional lift.

IF you go off road, the highest available suspension extension can be "induced" by placing blocking under the sill and lowering onto it, which causes the system to automatically engage the "extended height mode". You won't even need this unless really playing in rugged terrain.

Next, the IIDtool is plenty quick enough to engage a higher setting at a trail, and then undo upon leaving. It's cost can be justified by the other very useful tools such as clearing a code or resetting a system failure.

The LLAMS tool can be justified by it's super quick and easy "on the fly" access which is great both off road and in the city for parking structures when you have a roof rack, roof cargo box, or roof tent. Guess what a rod lift does for that situation....it's called street parking only.

The IIDtool could allow you to choose a very small standard running lift, like 10mm or just enough to compensate for larger tires like 32" if you don't want to go through the trouble of fender liner mods but honestly, the "right" way to do that is make the mods if you plan to run larger than 31.5" but it's more from a "what if" perspective than a requirement for normal day to day function.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with Jwest.

I have a saved setting with my IIDTool that allows me to use 32" tires and not rub while articulating. I ONLY use that setting when I'm off-roading on technical trails. The rest of the time I am in stock height.

...and 6 months of the year I'm on 30" tires anyway.

wyrover

Reaction score
jwest,
On our 99' DII I had a 2" lift on the front and 2" RTE SLS spacers on the rear. I was running OME shocks and 265/75-16 General Grabber AT2 tires. It took more concentration to drive at 80 mph than when it was stock. I would say it was more not feeling in control as much. All the suspension components were good and I had an alignment done after installing the lift. I also installed a new steering stabilizer as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM